Question

Tutor
whitepawn
Message 1 of 7 (4,655 Views)

Connected to wireless -- No internet access.

?

A brand new laptop, Product: VM187UA.

I spent over an hour with HP tech support, now they're making me reformat the laptap.

The home wireless network works, no problems ever, active connects from a desktop, an iPhone, and a Blackberry.  Password entered, connection made, good to go.  This laptop claims to be connected to that same wireless, with full bars and "excellent" signal strength.  But it also claims that there is an unknown network connection, an unresolved IP address, and no internet access.  AT THE SAME TIME.

I've been through tech support.  I went through the troubleshooting FAQs (basically everything tech support did), but it still won't connect to anything beyond my home wireless.  The end result is always the partial connectivity with the ugly yellow triangle containing an ugly exclamation point.

I disabled all AV/Firewall for this.

We've tested the other desktop, the iPhone, and the Blackberry.  The wireless itself is working just fine.

Any help would be much appreciated.  Visiting the random tech support sites on the web gives me lists of people with this same issue, but most involve Vista (I have Windows 7), and are not product (HP) specific.  They also don't offer comprehensive solutions.

Tutor
whitepawn
Message 2 of 7 (4,645 Views)

Re: Connected to wireless -- No internet access.

[ Edited ]

Here's a screenshot. If this isn't solved in the next couple days, the thing is going back.  It's useless without internet.

Tutor
whitepawn
Message 3 of 7 (4,627 Views)

One of the things tech support has been unable to help me with is a basic how to on switching that "public network" nonsense to private/home network.  Maybe start there?

Tutor
whitepawn
Message 4 of 7 (4,626 Views)

[ Edited ]

Still no connection.  Com'n guys, you're the official HP site and I'm a paying customer to the tune of $1200.  The random tech support forum sites are being more timely and responsive with potential solutions.

I guess I'll update here with their potential solutions.  There is no MAC filtering enabled on my wireless.

Does that help?

Tutor
whitepawn
Message 5 of 7 (4,618 Views)

Nevermind, free tech support for a year must mean free OF tech support for  a year.......one of the online, free, random tech support forums just fixed my issue in a very simplistic and timely fashion.

Running in circles with voice tech support for a total of three hours resulted in nothing.  Which, by the way, is very frustrating since I have to ask them to repeat themselves 8 times every sentence (I have no practice with thick, Indian accents and in the midst of computer frustration is not the time to learn interpretation) and even then not get it right.  Next time I'm requesting an American, Russian, or Spanish accent.  It may sound crude, but I think it would be less frustrating for both of us.  She was getting upset with repeating herself.

I thought the girl last night was telling me to type "debut" three times into the search bar, which made no sense whatsoever...turned out she was trying to spell out "w" "w" "w" .hp.com/go/instant, but it was incomprehensible over the phone...not her fault, I blame HP.  We need more options for those of us not culturally practiced enough to filter through it.

Honor Student
laserrs
Message 6 of 7 (4,572 Views)

I'm having a very similar issue and haven't had any success with HP either.

What is the fix?

Student
screamingtower
Message 7 of 7 (1,791 Views)

Similar problem on a 6160se.. No fix yet..
The system starts up with a strong connection and also access to internet..

There is an Ipod and another HP latptop on the same network..

After a couple seconds.. The internet access ALONE goes away.. and the aweful yellow triangle comes to replace it..

From time to time the yellow triangle needs to take a **bleep** or a pot break.. so I get internet again but the signal strenght varies.

I have AVG and Zone Alarm.. on ALL my devices.. this is the only one BITCHING about it apparently.. and for NO REASON whatsoever..

If the laptop goes on a wired connection to the router everything is green and beautiful.. But it looks like the **bleep** wi fi adapter is screwed from the assembly line..

If you have a fix.. PLEASE POST IT..

Thanks a lot!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation