Question

Honor Student
TigerRx
Message 1 of 27 (35,262 Views)

Constantly having to reset wireless network adapter

I have an HP Pavilion dv7-1261wm laptop running Windows 7 64-bit that is about 3 years old.  Recently, I have started losing my wireless internet connection.  The internet access icon in the lower right hand corner will display a yellow triangle with an exclamation point.  I then will run the troubleshooter and I have to reset the wireless network adapter.  This fixes the problem...for a while.  Then it happens again.  I have to repeat this process several times every day and it is driving me NUTS!  Is there a software fix or is this a hardware problem that needs to be addressed by a repairman??

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 27 (35,258 Views)

Re: Constantly having to reset wireless network adapter

Hi:

What model wireless network card is installed in your notebook?

If you don't know, go to the device manager and click on the Network Adapters section.

Please post the full model name and number of your wireless card.

Paul

Honor Student
TigerRx
Message 3 of 27 (35,245 Views)

Atheros AR5009 802.11a/g/n WiFi Adapter
Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 27 (35,242 Views)

Hi:

Please see if installing the latest wireless driver for the card works.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-99392-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

Paul

Honor Student
Edworm
Message 5 of 27 (35,200 Views)

I have been having this exact problem since I bought my laptop.  Rarely does a day go by where I don't need to reset as the original poster described.  Sometimes I need to do it 2-3 times within an hour!  The Wi-Fi signal strength is routinely very good.   I have a Pavilion DM4-2070us.  I am running Win 7 (64-bit), service pack 1.

The network adapters listed in the device manager are an Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20) and an Intel WiFi Link 1000 BGN.  When I attempt to update drivers for these two devices through the device manager, windows claims I have the best drivers available.  There are also two Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapters listed.

Any suggestions that correct this problem would be appreciated!

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 6 of 27 (35,196 Views)

Hi:

Try the latest Intel wireless driver at the link below.

The first driver is the one you want from March 14, 2012.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21045&ProdId=3229&lang=eng&OSVersion=...

Paul

Honor Student
Edworm
Message 7 of 27 (35,194 Views)

Paul,

Thanks for the quick response.  I have downloaded the driver you indicated.  It was indeed newer (14.3.1 vs 14.1.1).  I'll post again when I have a reasonable sample size to see if things have improved.

Ed

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 8 of 27 (35,192 Views)

You're very welcome, Ed.

I hope that gets it for you.

Paul

Honor Student
infraredted
Message 9 of 27 (34,174 Views)

Re: Constantly having to reset wireless network adapter - I have the same problem with a new laptop

I just got my dv6t quad 7200 laptop on 12/24 and it seems like I have been having the aforementioned problem frequently particularly after rebooting. I get the ubiquitous 'reset the wireless adapter' when running 'troubleshoot connections'. I sometimes have to do it more than once in succession to get it to 'take'. I have downloaded the most recent driver from the Intel site and it shoes it to be up to date in device manager. Driver version is 15.5.6.48. 

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 10 of 27 (34,169 Views)

Re: Constantly having to reset wireless network adapter - I have the same problem with a new laptop

Hi:

Someone on the forum did a rather unorthodox thing, and removed and reseated the wireless adapter and he stated that solved his issue completely

I should't say unorthodox, actually it is one of the troubleshooting steps, but often overlooked (at least by me).

If you want to try that, make sure you remove the battery and A/C adapter before working inside the PC.

It is relatively easy to remove and reseat the wireless adapter. Consult chapter 4 of the service manual for your notebook.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation