Question

Honor Student
MarmaladeHo
Message 1 of 3 (1,793 Views)

DV7 can't connect...

I have a Pavilion DV7-1261wm; I upgraded to Windows 7 (64) a couple weeks ago, everything was fine, the computer worked great, ran smoother than with Vista but for the last two weeks I can't connect to the internet. The wireless modem is turned on, it can connect to the network but keeps telling me there's no internet connection. It's not true, my modem and router have connections to the internet, my two desktops can connect to the internet, and so can my desktop with wireless. The other three computers in the house work fine with the internet. I've tried resetting the modem and router, reinstalling the driver for it, flashing BIOS, and I'd plug an ethernet cord right into it but I can't find a jack for it, just a phone line jack. I've tried setting the laptop up right next to the router, no avail. I've ran the network diagnostics and it keeps saying something is wrong with the router but obviously, if a wireless computer, and two wired can connect nothing's wrong with it. I've tried removing the connection and readding it, making sure the password is correct. But it'll only conect to the internet for half a minute or so and then tell me it can't connect. So, anyone want to tell me what to do? It worked for the last couple months but now decides to stop working...and my roiuter is a Belkin Wireless-N, but as far as I knew, this laptop is supposed to support N connections.

Top Student
uncledon57
Message 2 of 3 (1,710 Views)

Re: DV7 can't connect...

Same problem since the day I took my DV7T out of the box on Feb 2, 2010.  Look at the number of wireless connect issues with Windows 7 blogged on this website.   The bulk of the wireless complaints are with either new or upgraded Windows 7 machines (primarily notebooks).

I did all that you did & far more to track it down as well as buy a USB wireless adapter to test it.  If the USB worked, it was the internal wireless card.  If the USB didn't work either, it was a software issue.   It's a software issue.

My wireless & Bluetooth SEE the networks & Bluetooth devices but refuse to CONNECT to them.  Any of them!!!

It should be noted that this issue seems to exist among a wide range of CPUs and most or all of the Windows 7 platforms.

It should also be noted that HP did a motherboard recall of all DV2, DV6 & DV9 laptop motherboards to replace the Bios chip.

What I found in my situation is that Windows 7 allows the wireless driver to pipe in the the wireless credentials from networks & Bluetooth but it dumps the wireless driver when you attempt to connect.  If you check the Event Log's WLAN Auto-Config log, you may find that the error log indicates that the failure is due to a break in the driver association when a connection attempt is made.

If enough people complain, HP & Microsoft may get on the stick & come up with a patch but I haven't seen any viable solutions out there & an external USB wireless adapter or an express card adapter won't work either since Windows 7 dumps their drivers as well.  (Already tried them).

Grad Student
nascar4u
Message 3 of 3 (1,690 Views)

Re: DV7 can't connect...

MarmaladeHo wrote:

I have a Pavilion DV7-1261wm; I upgraded to Windows 7 (64) a couple weeks ago, everything was fine, the computer worked great, ran smoother than with Vista but for the last two weeks I can't connect to the internet. The wireless modem is turned on, it can connect to the network but keeps telling me there's no internet connection. It's not true, my modem and router have connections to the internet, my two desktops can connect to the internet, and so can my desktop with wireless. The other three computers in the house work fine with the internet. I've tried resetting the modem and router, reinstalling the driver for it, flashing BIOS, and I'd plug an ethernet cord right into it but I can't find a jack for it, just a phone line jack. I've tried setting the laptop up right next to the router, no avail. I've ran the network diagnostics and it keeps saying something is wrong with the router but obviously, if a wireless computer, and two wired can connect nothing's wrong with it. I've tried removing the connection and readding it, making sure the password is correct. But it'll only conect to the internet for half a minute or so and then tell me it can't connect. So, anyone want to tell me what to do? It worked for the last couple months but now decides to stop working...and my roiuter is a Belkin Wireless-N, but as far as I knew, this laptop is supposed to support N connections.

thy this link http://forums.linksysbycisco.com/linksys/board/message?board.id=Wireless_Routers&thread.id=146826&vi...

click Kudos to say thanks if I helped
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation