Question
DV8T-1000 Wireless dropping
Replies (15)

Tutor
RobWerden
Message 11 of 16 (806 Views)

Re: DV8T-1000 Wireless dropping

I also just experienced the same problem on the same day 8-5-10. I to have a DV8T- 1000 and the internet connection just suddenly dropped. The signal started to come on and off and over the course of a few hours the signal disapeared all together. When I wake the computer from a few hours of sleep the wifi comes back on then after a couple min goes away.

HP (india) diagnosed the adapter Intel wifi link 5100 as defective. It occured to me the placement of the wife card has no air flow and during the tech support call they asked me to open the cover over the wifi card and remove the card. I noticed it was incredibly hot. This is not good. This is a design flaw in the entire notebook chassy. The chip is over heating and failing.

Luckily they are sending me a new one, but this is bound to happen again. It is only a $30 part but the failure should not happen at all and this warrants a recal of the entire DV8T line.

Intern
jellowood
Message 12 of 16 (770 Views)

I work in IT so that was the first thing I did and continually look for updates. Also being that I work in IT and can't stand calling India for support but I have a feeling I don't have a choice. Maybe replacing the adapter is the fix

Intern
jellowood
Message 13 of 16 (730 Views)

Bump

Intern
jellowood
Message 14 of 16 (690 Views)

I just reimaged mine back to factory and so far it hasn't dropped once in several hours and normally it would have. I wonder if HP has a bad update they're pushing down to us. I'm not going to download any updates from anyone for several days and see what happens

Student
raquenore
Message 15 of 16 (236 Views)

I have had this problem for about a year now.  I have just been just been getting by with using the wired connection and using the dv8t as a desktop since I have another laptop with a working wireless connection.  However, because I need to be more mobile these days I need the wireless capability. 

Has there been a fix for this issue yet?  I have tried several recommendations like applying the latest updates for the bios and wireless adapter, but that did not resolve the issue.  I am suspecting that the wireless adapter to be inoperable due to the keybord control continuously displaying the wifi adapter as disabled eventhough it is actually enabled which is indicated in control panels.  Does anyone have any advice? or a link where I can get a hold of an hp representative that can help? I believe the wifi adapter is an intel wifi link 5100.

Tutor
iRabbit
Message 16 of 16 (195 Views)

Sending your laptop in, downloading drivers, updating the BIOS ect will not fix the issue.

I had the same issue a couple years ago. I sat for hours on the phone with tech support, waited over a week to have the laptop repaied and sent back only to have the issue come back (bass/treble and wifi having a mind of its own). I just lived with it on a wired connection.

While browsing to see if this has been resolved I came across the driver and BIOS updates.... ha... didn't work. Kept looking around.. found a .pdf for disassembly instructions.

I took out a total of 6 screws, removed the plate that goes around the Keyboard. (This plate contains the touch controls) I took some electrical tape and spread it down the length of the underside where the touch controls are on the plate. I took additional strips of electrical tape and covered all metal surfaces under the plate. I addition I put a small piece over the zip connector.

Issue solved with full functionallity of my touch controls.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation