Default Gateway not Available (3447 Views)
Honor Student
chm5cl
Message 1 of 3 (3,447 Views)

Default Gateway not Available

Hi,

As of last night i could not connect to the internet. I have tried the below methods without any results:

To assign the IP address and default gateway manually, follow the steps below:

In system tray, right click network icon. Choose Open Network and Sharing Center.

Right click on Local Area Connection and click on Properties. Double click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and assign the IP address manually.

Example: Old Ip address is 192.168.0.1

Change the IP address to 192.168.0.50

Let the Subnet mask and default gateway be the same.

Subnet mask = 255.255.255.0

Default gateway, usually would be 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1

Click on Apply and Ok and restart the computer and verify if it helps to fix the issue.

You may also try to contact the Router manufacturer and try to reset the router settings and check if it helps you fix the issue.

Also try to uninstall the network adapter from the device manager and restart the computer. Later allow Windows to install the generic drivers and check if it works fine.

Before uninstalling the network adapter, I would suggest you to create a System Restore Point manually, so that in case, something goes wrong while performing these steps, you may always perform a System Restore.

Follow the steps below to uninstall and reinstall network adapter.

1. Click on Start

2. In the start search box type 'devmgmt.msc' and press enter

3. In the Device Manager, expand Network Adapters

4. Right click on the installed network adapter and uninstall it.

5. Restart the computer and reinstall the network adapter.

and

MY FIX - which seems to have solved my problem

Open a cmd window as Administrator

type      route -f     (flushes all gateway entries from the routing table)

type     route -p -4 add 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 gateway_addr   (where gateway_addr is the address of the LAN port on your router)

exit the cmd window and reboot.

My system

windows 7

Dv6-3119 sa

ralink rt3090 wifi adapter

I have run the troubleshooter tool only to recieve: 'Default Gateway not Available'

Help please!

Thanks

Grad Student
Reikableu
Message 2 of 3 (3,403 Views)

Re: Default Gateway not Available

hi! :smileyhappy:

how are you actually trying to connet to the internet?

is it wireless or wired?

why did you even try to assign an ip address and default gateway manually?

your computer should have been provided an automatic IP ADDRESS and DEFAULT GATEWAY from the ROUTER it is trying to connect to so you can access the internet.

~reikableu~
...KUDO's to me and if this resolves the issue, please tag this as "AcceptedSolution"
~I MAYBE working for HP Consumer Notebook Support but any opinion stated are not at anyways connected to those of HP.~
Student
ladybug252
Message 3 of 3 (3,062 Views)

Re: Default Gateway not Available

[ Edited ]

There are tons of threads on this forum about the default gateway not available issue with Windows 7 - the OP is giving solution he tried, some of which failed.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=location&location=Board%3AInternet...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation