Question

Honor Student
Soapeh
Message 1 of 9 (2,902 Views)

Envy 17 Wireless Problem

My internet connection is 9mbps, straight from the modem. For the first 3 days, I got 5mbps on my laptop via wireless, out in my living room. Today however, I'm not even getting 1mbps. Before posting, I made sure it wasnt something between the router and the laptop by sitting right next to the router and got the same speed that I did out in the living room. 

Any ideas?

Honor Student
Soapeh
Message 2 of 9 (2,898 Views)

Re: Envy 17 Wireless Problem

Oh and, specificially, it's an HP Envy 17-1181NR with a Broadcom 43224AG 802.11 a/b/g/draft-n WiFi Adapter.

Honor Student
Soapeh
Message 3 of 9 (2,876 Views)

I just put in my sister's D-Link USB Adapter and I get the speeds I previously got (around 5mbps). This must be a problem with the laptop's adapter.

Regents Professor
pepe999
Message 4 of 9 (2,834 Views)

Soapeh wrote:

I just put in my sister's D-Link USB Adapter and I get the speeds I previously got (around 5mbps). This must be a problem with the laptop's adapter.

Are you talking about the internet connection speed? You should contact your ISP and ask them what is wrong with the connection..

Dv6-7000 /Full HD/Core i5-3360M/GF 650M/Corsair 8GB/Intel 7260AC/Samsung Pro 256GB
HP Touchpad provided by HP
Currently on Debian Wheeze

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
Honor Student
Soapeh
Message 5 of 9 (2,825 Views)

No, my internet connection is fine. That is, if i use ethernet or an external USB wireless adapter. When I use the internal one, it's horribly slow (less than 1mbps). But it was fine for the first 3 days!

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 6 of 9 (2,738 Views)

Hi,

Uninstall your current driver for Broadcom wireless.

Resource:
Uninstalling Software in Windows 7

Uninstall or change a program in Windows 7

Download and install Broadcom wireless driver from here.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer
Top Student
grafals
Message 7 of 9 (2,172 Views)

Funny this is happening with the Broadcom wireless.  There are also many threads talking about the Envy 17 locking up with the Intel Centrino wifi adapter (including mine).  In fact, I just did a search on "Envy 17 freeze" and there are an insane number of topics posted on this same issue.

Several people are suggesting that there is a new BIOS out to fix the problem with the Intel adapter.  However, I just upgraded to the new BIOS and now I'm getting a warning that the HDD is about to fail. 

This machine is shaping up to be one of the worst most overpriced things a lot of people have bought.  So far, the only long term solution I have seen is to get HP to give you your money back. 

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 8 of 9 (2,150 Views)

@grafals

Hi,

Press F2 on startup and use tester for HDD.

More informations about it in the link below:

System Diagnostics (F2)

If this test will confirm again that your HDD is about to fail and your notebook is still under warranty then please contact with HP. They will send you new HDD for free.

How to do it?
Check the link below and choose your country:
Contact HP Worldwide

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer
Student
envyportable
Message 9 of 9 (1,473 Views)

You are correct. This is a poorly designed product. The heat problem left to the control pad is horrible and I have to shut it down in order to cool it downs, inspite of having installing an external cooling fan already.

Have a bit problem to turn on the Wireless lan adapter. Any suggestions.

Thanks,

RL

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation