HELP! 3rd day no wireless on Compaq Presario CQ56 no replies to 1st post :( (264 Views)
Tutor
cmissyjones
Message 1 of 17 (264 Views)
Accepted Solution

HELP! 3rd day no wireless on Compaq Presario CQ56 no replies to 1st post :(

This is day 3 of no wireless access on my notebook. I have reset my router several times to no avail. My phone works fine and the notebook can see the network just not connect. My WLAN light is on and according to device manager I have the latest driver for my Ralink RT5390 802.11 b/g/n WiFi adaptor. I did uninstall and reinstall anyway but that didn't work either. Please could someone answer me? I tried posting yesterday but I've had no replies. I really need help. :womansad:

Tutor
cmissyjones
Message 2 of 17 (249 Views)

Re: HELP! 3rd day no wireless on Compaq Presario CQ56 no replies to 1st post :(

Why won't anyone help me? :smileysad:

Tutor
cmissyjones
Message 3 of 17 (246 Views)

I've tried all the solutions I can find on here and nothing has worked. I tried uninstalling the Ralink driver and deleting it but when I restarted the computer it found a Ralink driver anyway and it still doesn't work. I'm not well and have to spend a great deal of time in bed. I can't physically move the router to my bedroom so I can connect by ethernet cable. This is my way of keeping in touch when I'm bedridden and at the moment I can only use my phone. Please will someone try to help me?

Tutor
cmissyjones
Message 4 of 17 (233 Views)

bump Still need help. Please!!!

HP Support Agent
BHK6
Message 5 of 17 (219 Views)

Hi cmissyjones,

Sorry to hear about your problem connecting to the network. I will be happy to help. What version of operating system are you running? What is your computer's product number? I have included a couple of links below to find that information.

Find your product on a notebook:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c00033108

Finding your OS:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows/which-operating-system

When you try to connect to your network do you get an error message? Does it look like you connect but you can't browse?

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

Tutor
cmissyjones
Message 6 of 17 (216 Views)

Thank you so much for replying! I have Windows 7 Home Premium. My Product Number is LK826EA#ABU. The network appears in the list of available networks but when I click connect I simply get a box that says Windows cannot connect to (name of network) and offers troubleshooting which I have tried. At the end of that it says Windows cannot fix your problem (or words to that effect). 

Thanks again

Colleen

HP Support Agent
BHK6
Message 7 of 17 (212 Views)

Hi Colleen,

Do you see any other nearby networks that are not password protected? I want to see if PC is having issues with just your network or all networks. If you can't get a neighbor's network maybe see if you can bring the notebook to a local coffee shop or similar place with a free wifi connection. Do you have a cell phone that can connect to your network?

Below you will find a link to a document that will show you how to test the hardware on your computer. There are two different ways of doing it using the HP Support Assistant or the Diagnostic Tools both should have some pre-installed depending on the age of the notebook. In the Support Assistant section go down to “Testing Network and Internet Connectivity”.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c02491515

Thank you

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP

Tutor
cmissyjones
Message 8 of 17 (211 Views)

All the nearby networks are password protected. I could take it somewhere tomorrow (dependent on weather), but my phone connects to the network as normal so I'm sure it's a problem with the pc. I will try your suggestions for now.

Thanks 

Colleen

Tutor
cmissyjones
Message 9 of 17 (207 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have followed the instructions you provided. The network check without the ethernet cable went as follows (not word for word):

Reset TAP-Win 32 adapter V9

Reset Ralink RT5390

Release and renew IP address for Ralink RT5390

Reset Ralink RT5390

No connection

Possible causes:

No network detected (102)

Wireless association failed 

A response was not received from the router or access point (999)

Also, 2 unsecured networks appeared with a fair signal but I was unable to connect to either one.

Colleen

HP Support Agent
BHK6
Message 10 of 17 (199 Views)

Hi Colleen,

It is definitely the computer if it cannot connect to multiple networks and the phone can connect to the network. When you did the uninstall and reinstall that was for the Ralink only correct?

I am going to continue to look into this issue for you. In the meantime here is generic document with some troubleshooting steps to try.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c02543015

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation