Question

Student
Darkel
Message 1 of 6 (5,535 Views)

HP 2000 Notebook Wireless problems

Hi, my girlfriend recently purchased (less then a year ago) a HP 2000 notebook running Windows 8.

For some time now the wireless connection will just drop for seemingly no reason. Also, after dropping, the wireless panel and wireless adapter dialog will freeze. We then have to reboot the laptop since it's impossible to get the internet connection back.

The network card is a Ralink RT5390R 802.11bgn adapter and all drivers are up to date (all found on the HP website). Except from the drops, there doesn't seem to be any other problems (no latency issue, ...). I have another laptop and an HP printer on the network both working perfectly fine.

I have tried troubleshooting it a little but i can't seem to find the source of the problem.

After a connection drop, i tried using the keyboard shortcut fn+f12 which should enable/disable the wireless adapter but it is unresponsive. I have also tried doing a windows diagnostic without any succes. When i go in the config panel to disable the adapter, I can acces the adapter properties but when i try to do anything with it, it freeze and a reboot is required.

If you have any idea what might be causing this or any idea how to fix it, I would be really glad.

Thank you for your answers.

Regents Professor
UniProg
Message 2 of 6 (5,517 Views)

Re: HP 2000 Notebook Wireless problems

Hello Darkel,

Please take a look at this document and let me know if the troubleshooting steps help resolve your wireless issues.

Good luck!

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Top Student
Mafra
Message 3 of 6 (5,284 Views)

Hi HP Expert, I have a HP 2000-2d11dx laptop with atheros wireless card running windows 8.1. Everything was working just fine until yesterday 11/20/2013 when HP Assitance program indicate some upgrades, incluing wireless driver upgrade. Since then my laptop does not recognize any wireless network and then cannot connect. Wireless light is white, but no wireless network can be found. Please adivice.

Thanks,

Mafra
HP Support Agent
Waterboy71
Message 4 of 6 (5,271 Views)

Hi Mafra, sorry to hear that you are having issues with your wifi connections. Here is a link that helps with connection issues wifi on windows 8 operating systems.  http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03535285&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&la...

If this does NOT resolve the issue, I suggest maybe doing a system recovery back to a date before the updates were completed.  Here is a link that will assist you.  http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c03483233&lc=en&product=6412054&tmp...

Hope these steps resolve your issues.

Thanks in advance

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

W a t e r b o y 71
I work on behalf of HP
Student
JoeHenryIII
Message 5 of 6 (1,859 Views)

When I booted up my HP 2000 with Windows 8 I received a message that read " automatic repair" and then it would shut off. I do not have any Antivirus protection on it and I haven't been on the web. The battery was dead and so when I went to plug it up that is when the message came on. It boots up to the HP symbol and that's it. What could be the problem?
Tutor
grizzly5
Message 6 of 6 (1,747 Views)

i posted a new thread on losing my sound with my 2000 notebook with windows 7. i'm also on my way to looking for that link which was posted a few weeks back.

i tried doing a  system restore before my sound problems but once on that page it would not let me date back any further than a week. Now that is crazy! I thought were were able to go back to weeks or even months! Help please, I really hope to get my sound back. it's not fun. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation