HP 510 notebook PC cannot 'see' WPA /WPA2 network (1233 Views)
Honor Student
needinelp
Message 1 of 2 (1,233 Views)

HP 510 notebook PC cannot 'see' WPA /WPA2 network

[ Edited ]

I have inherited a HP 510 notebook PC.  It's only ever been connected to the web via a dial-up so as far as I know the OS is still as it came out the box, i.e. XP Home Edition SP2, no subsequent patches.

If I use my Netgear 834g router completely open then the laptop tells me the network is available (unsecured) and I can connect to my main desktop PC no problem.  If I set the router to use WEP then the network is listed being secured but if I try to use WPA or WPA2 the laptop can't find the netwrok at all.

I know XP gold and XP SP1 didn't suport WPA but according to MS, XP SP2 does.  Also, the Intel PRO 2200bg  fitted to the HP 510 says it is WPA/WPA2 compatible.  Device manager shows the wireless driver, provided by Intel, as v9.0.4.17.  The latest available on Intel's site is ....0.39, hardly a massive increment and thus unlikely to have introduced a big step in functionality like adding WPA support.

So how come this laptop can't find  my WPA network?

Oh, forgot to add.  It's not a simple case of the router not broadcasting the network name, i did check that!

Honor Student
needinelp
Message 2 of 2 (1,220 Views)

Re: HP 510 notebook PC cannot 'see' WPA /WPA2 network

Hmm, no help here either.

No matter, the problem has gone away.  I wish I could give a clear expalnation of how the matter was resolved but I can't, other than it involved:

a )  on the laptop, with wireless turned off
- clearing out every reference to any network I could find
- rebooting several times
- then turning on the wierless asking it to find and connect to the router, unsecured
- disconnecting
- clearing out every ref to any network
- rebooting
- asking it to connect to the network, WPA secured
b )  on the router, performing a 'hard' reset every time I rebooted the laptop

Eventually, the laptop found the network. Connecting was then trivial, I just gave it the WPA key and away it went.

What ever was at fault, it was definitely something to do with the HP laptop because throughout all of this messing around an Acer laptop running Vista would connect to the network every time.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation