Question

Student
willrhame
Message 1 of 13 (5,728 Views)

HP Bios application selected is corrupt or missing. Install BIOS application error 501

HP Pavillion dv7 windows 8: The HP Bios application selected is corrupt or missing. Install BIOS application error 501. How do I do this?

Regents Professor
lions99
Message 2 of 13 (5,702 Views)

Re: HP Bios application selected is corrupt or missing. Install BIOS application error 501

Hello, willrhame.

Typically this means the EFI-partition (HP_TOOLS) has been deleted. You can get past this message by disabling HP Quick look 2 in your BIOS.

Try these steps please:

1. Open up your BIOS (by pressing F10 while your machine is booting up)
2. Go to System Configuration / Device Configurations
3. Look for an option called "HP Quicklook" or "HP Quicklook 2"
4. Set it to "Disabled"
6. Save the changes (hit F10)
7. Restart your machine.

After you restart the machine you shouldn't see the message again. Please let me know the outcome. 

If you have any more questions let me know.

THX

Top Student
krysst
Message 3 of 13 (5,538 Views)

Re: HP Bios application selected is corrupt or missing. Install BIOS application error 501

That option does not exist in the bios o system I am working with (Pavilion dv6-6c10us).

Do I need a Bios update? And if so where can I get one that boots off USB or something? 

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 4 of 13 (5,535 Views)

To update your BIOS, you just need to download and run the BIOS update from the following link:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-116617-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

Best of luck,

Kyle

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Top Student
krysst
Message 5 of 13 (5,526 Views)

Thanks but the system is not booting into Windows!  I need a bootable bios update if there exists one!

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 6 of 13 (5,521 Views)

Are you getting the same error message as the original poster or a different one?

Until then, I would try a hard reset on the notebook. Here is a document with the steps:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01684768&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc...

Best of luck,

Kyle

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Top Student
krysst
Message 7 of 13 (5,520 Views)

Yes Kyle, Same error message as original!  I am putting in a new HD in the system...the old one died...Thanks will read info on that link

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 8 of 13 (5,519 Views)

Just let me know the result of that reset. If it doesn't help, I will see where we can go from there. 

Signature
Top Student
krysst
Message 9 of 13 (5,516 Views)

Hard Reset does nothing to remove that 501 error!  But again; this is a new HD I am trying to install so it will not have the HP Tools on it which apparently is needed!  But I am having major difficulty installing windows

Thanks for any more advice you might have!

Student
AbSa
Message 10 of 13 (4,594 Views)

HP Bios application selected is corrupt or missing. Install BIOS application error 501

I have HP probook 4520s
win 8 pro.
on pressing the main button I m getting a hp logo...and the system stops there... If I press f5 or f6 . The above notification appearsss..
please help me
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation