Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I just bought a HP Compaq 610 with Windows 7 and it works just fine. I can connect to the internet without problem when using a cable. The problem is with my wireless internet connection. The wireless button does not change from amber to blue, no matter how often i try changing it by pressing on the button. I've also tried the "disconnect - connect" function as suggested in the help menu, but it does not work either. strangely, when booting, the LED is blue but on further booting it changes to amber.

Can anybody please help me how to enable the wireless adapter?

Thanks in advance!
Schaannett

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

I had a similar issue on a HP 610 running Windows XP sp3.

In my case I uninstalled the wireless driver:

control panel > system > hardware > device manager > network adapters > right click intel pro wireless, select uninstall.

I then re-started my laptop and it all began working once more (once drivers had automatically re-installed).

HP Recommended

Welcome to the club, now you're stuck with the worst Laptop EVER made. None of the Compaq PC's have wireless anymore, I see hundreds after hundreds of posts of everyone complaining about the wifi problem with Compaq laptops, and these PIGS keep making these craps despite everyone complaining about it, people spending hundreds of dollars to repair this crap, only to come home one day to find that now is the screen that won't turn on. If I was you, I'd ask for my money back before it's too late.

I'M NEVER BUYING A COMPAQ EVER AGAIN, AND IF ANYONE GIVES ME ONE AS A GIFT, I WILL USE IT AS FUEL FOR MY CHIMNEY BECAUSE THERE'S NO WAY I'M EVER TOUCHING ONE OF THIS PIECES OF TRASH AGAIN IN MY LIFE.

If you want a good Laptop for a low price, buy ACER, I have owned 2 Acer Laptops and they STILL WORK PERFECTLY.

[text removed]

HP Recommended

I had the same issue. But, I downloaded the driver from the following link and it works now:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

The problem that I have now is, when I restart the computer, it seems like Windows 7 uninstalled my driver. So I have to reinstall again to find the wireless networks. Let me know if someone manged to fix that one. Thanking in advance.

HP Recommended

casey_23b, thanks for your post. I followed the instructions and it works for me now.

HP Recommended

Want a merry-go-round of fun buy this piece of RUBBISH!!!

Telkom (original supplier and the best joke of all - it's part of a wifi package deal) blame Microsoft, Microsoft blame HP, HP blames everyone (love call centers) 4 months down the line, 47 call center telephone calls-R2500 additional costs in IT GUYS doing onsite work to attempt getting this to run -  TWO reformats to change operating systems and gee guess what STILL NO WIFI - sort of defeats the object of having a laptop and wifi - does not work on Windows 7, XP pro or Vista -

and yes my old faithful very old ACER still working and yes on wifi - right next to the HP that will not work.  As it is not a line fault it is not a Telkom problem.... and so the circle continues -

Have to admit however HP CALL CENTER INDIA were wonderful and very patient, have called back twice to South Africa in an attempt to sort out the problem - while HP South Africa is still refusing to admit there is a  problem. 

HP Recommended

We had the same problem. The hardware wireless switch button wouldn't turn from amber to blue after we upgraded the laptop to windows 7.

The fix is to download and install the hp wireless assistant from the list of drivers and software on HP's compaq 610 website. here is the link. HP Wireless Assistant Download

For some reason the wireless won't enable unless you have this installed. Once you do, you just click turn wireless on. Its weird that this software not being installed would disable the HARDWARE wireless switch, but ours works now.

HP Recommended
i need this
HP Recommended

just go to teh hp settings and it will show you wireless stuff and just press on.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.