Question

Honor Student
Serkaii
Message 1 of 8 (6,288 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP ENVY dv6 losing wireless connection periodically.

Hello everyone,

First, thank you to anyone willing or able to assist with my issue, I appreciate the assistance.

I purchased an HP ENVY dv6 Notebook from Costco today, running Windows 8, an Atheros AR9485 adapter, and connecting to a Belkin Surf N300 Wireless N Router - Model# F7D6301 v3.

My problem is, in the past 6-7 hours of usage, I've lost connection 3 separate times. The first two times was fairly brief, lasting only a few minutes. I closed out the Internet Explorer Application, and upon reopening it and attempting to connect again, worked fine. The last occurrence, however, lasted 15-20 minutes and finally resulted in me just hard wiring it in.

I'm brand new to HP computers, and Windows 8 all together, so I'm not sure where to start first. I've searched around the web, and on the forums here, but haven't found a fix.

I use the wireless router daily (hard wired) for my Xbox 360, and rarely, if ever, has issues connecting.

Please let me know if I can provide more information / details to help get the issue resolved.

Again, thank you!

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 8 (6,267 Views)

Re: HP ENVY dv6 losing wireless connection periodically.

Hi:

Check the driver version in the device manager, and if it is older than the one below, see if installing the latest driver for the wireless card in your notebook helps.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

Honor Student
Serkaii
Message 3 of 8 (6,259 Views)

Paul_Tikkanen, thank you for your advice. I downloaded the the most recent Atheros AR9000 Series Wireless LAN Driver.

As soon as I downloaded / installed - I lost connection again. However, it seemed to lose connection because it thought I didn't have a Wireless Network selected in the first place, and not because it couldn't find a signal. I selected my home Wireless Network and reconnected, and so far so good. I'll keep this post updated if I continue to have any issues.

Again, thanks!

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 8 (6,256 Views)

You're very welcome.

Honor Student
Serkaii
Message 5 of 8 (6,233 Views)

Hello again,

So my Laptop continues to lose it's wireless connection. I contacted HP Support via the Web Chat, and they suggested I use something other than Internet Explorer.

After installing Firefox & Google Chrome, I was also informed that I should update my BIOS. I was given a link / download and updated my BIOS to a newer version. (I thought this was strange since I JUST purchased the Laptop Wednesday, 3/27/13 - but my knowledge of computers is limited)

My wireless connection seemed to be doing fine for a while, but has since continued to lose connection periodically. I've noticed when I lose connection, my Wireless Signal in my task bar continues to show full connection / signal. Resetting my Belkin wireless router fixes the issue temporarily, as well as shutting off my wireless connection and restarting it via the task bar, or running the troubleshoot programs through Windows or HP also fixes the issue.

I've made sure my Firmware is up to date in my Belkin as well..

Any other advice / suggestions is welcome! Thank you all!

Regents Professor
UniProg
Message 6 of 8 (6,156 Views)

Hello Serkaii,

Take a look at this document, which provides some troubleshooting steps and things to check when you are having wireless issues.

Please let me know if the troubleshooting steps help to resolve your issue.

Good luck!

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Honor Student
airbus737
Message 7 of 8 (2,704 Views)

On our 3rd NEW AT CHRISTMAS "ENVY" with EXACTLY THE SAME issue.  Took 2 back and now having same problems at day 3 with this latest "ENVY."

Clearly NOT a single or several unit problem; but rather, this defect is a Problematic Issue  Suffered Across  the ENTIRE  ENVY  MODEL  LINE.

The thread above was posted in March -- 10 months ago -- SUGGESTING this DEFECT is Fatal and CANNOT be Fixed by HP.

UNACCEPTABLE!!      UNACCEPTABLE  QUALITY  CONTROL !    AND  UNACCEPTABLE  CORPORATE  INTEGRITY  TO  CONTINUE  MARKETING  LAPTOPS  WITH  KNOWN  CRITICAL  DEFECTS  ABSENT  A  COMPLETE  RESOLUTION.   SHAME  ON  HP!

Honor Student
nickboss12
Message 8 of 8 (386 Views)

My Hp Envy Dv6 has the same issue the wifi will switch into limited and I can do anything tell  I turn it off and back on I have delt with it since i bought it a year ago my warrenty exspired.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation