HP ENVY dv7-7243cl Wireless Adapter Issues (5299 Views)
Honor Student
chryb900
Message 1 of 9 (5,299 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP ENVY dv7-7243cl Wireless Adapter Issues

[ Edited ]

Hello all, 

I recently purchase a refurbished HP ENVY dv7-7243cl. Overall I am happy with the product except for one massive issue. I am having severe issues with the range of the on board network adapter. I am holding the notebook right next to the router and I am only getting 3 out of 5 bars. It is not a router issue as I have several other devices that connect perfectly from the other side of the house. Any help at all is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I have uninstalled and then reinstalled the driver to no avail.

Top Student
Kiki1962
Message 2 of 9 (5,252 Views)

Re: HP ENVY dv7-7243cl Wireless Adapter Issues

Had the same problem and support had me take off the rear cover and reconnect the wireless antennae.  Was fine after that.  Suggest you call support to get this info on how to do it properly.  I'm sure you'll agree that's a quality problem with a new machine.

Regents Professor
UniProg
Message 3 of 9 (5,203 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello chryb900,

Kiki1962 gives some excellent advice.  If you go to the Maintenance and Service Guide and look beginning on page 57, you will see some diagrams that should help you.

Please let me know if this doesn't resolve your issue. 

Good luck!

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Honor Student
chryb900
Message 4 of 9 (5,179 Views)

You post confirmed my suspicions that it was an antenna issue, swapped the antenna cables and now it works perfectly. Thank you all!

Student
hpdv77423cl
Message 5 of 9 (5,047 Views)

Well, I bought this laptop and everything was fine except for wireless connection. I call hp and they suggested to update driver. I tried it and no help. Still the same. The wireless bars were really 1 or 2 all the time. I opened the back and reseated the wireless card, still not luck. Then, finally, I opened the back again, swapped the main and aux antenna cables and bingo - problem solved!!

Can't believe HP would such silly mistakes. The wires were labeled incorrectly. Usually 1 is for main and 2 is for aux. I had to connect 2 to main and 1 to aux.

I am back in business... super 5 bars!!!!

Hope this helps, if it does, reply! Otherwise, good luck with issue!

Student
Vill123
Message 6 of 9 (4,832 Views)

I have a newly bought custom envy dv7 - 8gb ram, quad core, 630m GC. Whenever I play the game, after 30 minutes, I start to have wifi problems. I get disconnected many times and afterward it just froze. I have done many researches and your not only one experiencing these types of problems. I have had HP support to try to fix this problem but nothing was done.

Student
ur61801
Message 7 of 9 (3,164 Views)

Thanks for pointing to the service manual!  I had the same problem with the network adapter as reported by many and tried everything for the past week, from updating the bios to refreshing the operating system.  Eventually I did a full reinstallation of Windows 8, to no avail. In total desperation I looked at page 57 of the manual as suggested and decided to remove the case to inspect the network adapter.  Would you believe that one of the two wires had gotten disconnected?  It turns out that the wire had been mounted at the factory from the top instead of the side, and with a springy loop thus creating a large stress that eventually managed to get the micro coaxial connector lose.  Who designs these circuits? Placement of the wires could not have been more awkward and unreliable.  You do not need a PhD in Electrical Engineering as I have, to realize how stupid the design of the network adapter mount is.  For a microwave device the connector is always the weakest point.  Shame on you sloppy HP designers.  Anyway, all works flawlessly now, and I know how to fix it if it happens again.  There is only one screw to remove for access to the network adapter, so, before trying anything else, check the mechanical connection of the antenna wires first, before messing around with the software as I did.  These coaxial connectors are really tiny, so be very very careful and make sure to reposition delicately the wire to release any stress on the connection. 

Honor Student
Keila
Message 8 of 9 (2,593 Views)

Loss or no WiFi Connection on HP ENVY dv7… Safe and Easy fix!!! Old-dated BIOS is the problem! So, all we need to do is update it! You can do it either by means of “Updates and tune-ups” button in “HP Support Assistant”, or by manually downloading and installing latest version of BIOS for your particular HP laptop model (in this case, make sure your laptop is plugged in to power adapter/outlet and that you follow all installation instructions precisely!). I hope this helps! Good luck! ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- A more thorough explanation……………… My Personal Experience: My sibling’s laptop of this model came with old BIOS F.23 (dated 12/14/2012)… after updating it, it became F.28 (dated 07/25/2013) and the problem disappeared. Yes, HP sells laptops with a year old BIOS! Booooooo!!!!! :smileyhappy: Solution: (In Windows 8) on “Start Menu” page in “HP apps” section find and click on “HP Support Assistant” shortcut… the app will open. In this app click on “Updates and tune-ups” button… and follow the instructions installing all the updates (they will include a newer version of BIOS)! That’s it! ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To Check BIOS Version: While on your desktop, click simultaneously two buttons: “fn” and “Esc”. “System Information” window will appear. Amongst all other information, you will see section: BIOS (Configuration) with a version number right beside it. Example: In our situation it was a year old BIOS with a version number F.23 (dated 12/14/2012)… instead of F.28 (dated 07/25/2013).
Student
emingo1
Message 9 of 9 (984 Views)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c03580477

above is the link with ver useful (for the not so tech savy) person trying this fix. Step three shows the cables that need to be switched (I think).

Good Luck

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation