Question

Student
pokeybear100
Message 1 of 2 (4,544 Views)

HP ENVY m6 Notebook PC, Windows 8 home wifi problems

I got an HP ENVY m6 in December with Windows 8. I was able to connect to my wifi (comcast cable) at first with no problems. Ran the necessary Windows updates with no problems. HP is all updated as well, and my computer is set up to automatically scan for new updates. 

I started running into wifi problems after I took my laptop to my school campus and connected to their wifi, but when I brought it back home it said I had "limited" wifi connections. My fiance, in the very same room, running linux on his dell was able to connect to our wifi just fine though.

After making mycomputer forget my network, shutting down, and unplugging the wifi to try to reset it, and trying to turn my wifi on and off (all in various orders) I gave up and called HP support. They made sure to have me check my wifi adapters, all of which are all correct and updated. They had me uninstall the wifi driver, then reinstall it. Still no internet. They made sure my bios was correct and working fine, and it is. Finally, somehow, after re-installing my bios, wifi driver, shutting my wifi off, shutting down my computer, then unplugging my wifi modem, then unplugging my cable, then plugging it all back in, turning on my computer, and then turning on my wifi, we finally got the internet to work.

Again, took my computer to school, connected to their wifi, brought my laptop home and tried to connect to my own wifi - Boom! same problem a week later!! I called HP again after trying the magic all over to no avail, and they had me try the process all over again. Still no luck... They chalked it up to a bad internet connection and wanted me to call my provider, Comcast, except my fiance was still able to connect to our internet just perfectly, as were our guests on their computers and phones... After the HP tech support understood that other people were connected to our network, he said my wifi card must be bad and I should expect to hear from someone on where to take it in to have it replaced. 

No call, no email, but a friend suggested I clear all my web browser history and cookies, empty the cache, everything. So I tried it. Voila! Working internet at home! I enjoyed about a month and a half of taking my laptop to and from school and connecting to the 2 wifi's without any problems, until about a week later.

I got the "limited" connection, so I try to shut off and then turn on my wifi, no help. Forgot the network, restarted the modem, tried to reconnect, then nothing...  Here I go, proceeding to try the long off/shutdown/unplug combinations, and still nothing. I cleared all the browser history again, nothing. My HP and Windows all say updated, and now I'm only able to connect to my wifi through plugging into the hard line. 

I turned to Windos 8 support, where I was recommended to try and run the diagnostics again and was asked the following:

1)      Have you made any changes to the hardware or software on the computer prior to the issue? 

- Nope

2)      Do you get any error message / code?

- None that pop up indicating an error. When I try to connect to the wifi, it says "cannot connect," but I am able to see the available wifi networks, which includes mine.

3)      What is the make and model of the Modem/ Router?

- Netgear Wireless-G Router WGR614v10

I have tried running the HP network diagnostic, it succeeds in resetting my Realtek adapter, reset my Qualcomm Atheros adapter, releases and renews my IP address for the Qualcomm Atheros adapter, resets my wireless network adapter, and then when it goes to disable and then enable the network wifi adapter it fails. It happens this way fairly consistently when I run it.

Windows Network Diagnostics Troubleshooter says: 

"Investigate router or access point issues...[insert part about contacting the network admin]... otherwise, 
1. unplug or turn off the device. 
2. After all the lights on the device are off, wait at least 10 seconds. 
3. Turn the device back on or plug it back into the power outlet. 
To restart a router or access point that has a built-in batter, press and quickly release the reset button."

Knowing that I've already done this many times, I click "Check to see if the problem is fixed. Click here after you follow the instructions above."

After it searches for more problems, it says: 

"Troubleshooting has completed
Troubleshooting was unable to automatically fix all of the issues found You can find more details below.
Problems found
     Problem with wireless adapter or access point        Detected      /!\"

HP Support Assistant has a section called "Internet and Security," which lets me do an "HP Network Check" It runs its Network Diagnostics and says:

(Green check) Collecting Information
(Green check) Diagnosing
(Green check)Performing the following action: Reset the "realtek PCLe GBE Family Controller" adapter
(Green chedck) Performing the following action: Release and renew IP address for the "QUalcomm Atheros ...." adapter
(Red /!\ sign)Performing the following action: Resetting your wireless network adapter, this will disable and then enable the network adapter "wi-Fi" on this computer
(Green Check) Checking for additional issues.
(Green Check) Reset the "realtek pcle GBE Family Controller" adapter again.
(Green check) Collecting Information
(Green check) Diagnosing
(Green check)Performing the following action: Reset the "realtek PCLe GBE Family Controller" adapter
(Green chedck) Performing the following action: Release and renew IP address for the "QUalcomm Atheros ...." adapter
(Red /!\ sign)Performing the following action: Resetting your wireless network adapter, this will disable and then enable the network adapter "wi-Fi" on this computer

Then it takes me to: 

"Connection Status (red sign) /!\
Possible root causes for your network issues are listed below. Click -> next to each of the issues below, and then follow the instructions to solve the problem.

Possible Root Causes:
->Your connection to "[my network name]" is intermittently losing data
This could be caused by the computer being too far** away from the wireless router or access point, or by interference from other wireless devices. (999)
**Note, I am barely 5 feet away from my wireless, I can reach out and touch it from where I am with my laptop... my fiance can still connect to our wireless network from anywhere in the apartment.
->(999)
-> No network detected (102)
-> Wireless association to "[Wireless network name]" failed
-> Windows could not connect to "[Network name]" 
     You can try to connect again. (999)"

I have also tried a Windows 8 Engineer's advice to type "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" in the command prompt, which said success and that I needed to restart the computer. Alas, still no wireless internet connection. Still, both network diagnostics say the same thing as above.

Why am I having so many difficulties connecting to my own wifi on and off? Why don't the old tricks work to get it back running again?   What is happening at your school that causes the home case to be so severely affected and not being able to adapt to the new conditions? Why are other people able to connect to my wireless internet from 50feet away in my neighbor's apartment and still I cannot? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated :smileysad:

Regents Professor
UniProg
Message 2 of 2 (4,524 Views)

Re: HP ENVY m6 Notebook PC, Windows 8 home wifi problems

Hello pokeybear100,

Please take a look at this document, and let me know if the troubleshooting steps help resolve your wireless connection issues.

Good luck!

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation