HP ENVY m6 internet issues (1300 Views)
Tutor
Archen5
Message 11 of 19 (545 Views)

Re: HP ENVY m6 internet issues

So when I restarted my laptop, the f10 thing wasn't an option. It had a loading screen for 5 seconds then went to my lock screen. I checked for updates just now and it told me that it was unable to verify my product. I'm not completely sure what that part means.
Tutor
Archen5
Message 12 of 19 (519 Views)

Bumped because this issue has not gone away, it is only getting worse and it is extremely frustrating and I still have no idea how to fix this issue that should not exist.

Distinguished Professor
AxshunJaxun
Message 13 of 19 (513 Views)

Hey Archen5, 

Check in Device Manager if your wireless card is made by Qualcomm and let me know please.

Here's how:

1. Press the Windows key + X

2. Click Device Manager

3. Expand Network Adapters

4. There will be 3 or 4 items listed there. Look for the one that says 'wireless', 'WiFi', '802.11', or something similar. On that same line it will have a brand name and model number. The brand may be Qualcomm Atheros, Ralink, Intel, or Broadcom. Let me know that brand name and the model number beside it.

5. Also let me know the driver version. Double click on that wireless link to open the Properties

6. Click the Driver tab and post the driver version number in your reply please.

It would also help to have your current BIOS version. Press FN + ESC to bring up that information. Look for 'F.##' and let me know what that is. 

Once I have those versions, I can recommend an update or other steps. Some people are having issues with the introduction of a Windows 8 computer into their networks. In those cases, the router's current firmware was designed for Windows 7 devices and could probably use an update or settings changes to include the Windows 8 device. Let's check your wireless card's driver version and BIOS version first and then move on to the router configuration and firmware, if necessary.

Tutor
Archen5
Message 14 of 19 (511 Views)

Brand Name and number is Qualcomm Atheros AR9485

Driver version: 10.0.0.212

BIOS version is F.21

And what you described about my router not being able to handle Windows 8 might be right because this is the first W8 computer I have used on its network, while it works fine on all W7 ones I have now or previously.

Distinguished Professor
AxshunJaxun
Message 15 of 19 (498 Views)

[ Edited ]

Ok thanks so much for that information. 

Your BIOS is slightly outdated so here is the latest BIOS version F.34 (which also corrects the low battery beep, if you've experienced that). Download and install it. Your notebook will restart on its own during the installation. Allow it to restart and get back to the Start screen. 

Then download and install Qualcomm Atheros wireless driver version 10.0.0.234. This is a legitimate site. It has worked for other users. See the picture below for the correct Download button. 

Atheros1000234.jpg

Download and install 10.0.0.234. Restart the computer. Then check your download speed with www.speedtest.net. If you're still getting the same results, let me know the brand and model of your router, please :smileyhappy:

Tutor
Archen5
Message 16 of 19 (485 Views)

I installed both and restarted, but it didn't seem to help. 

My router is a Netgear and I think the model is: Wireless-N 150 Router WNR1000v2.

The router at my other house is older and I can't get to it now, but I'm guessing if I have to do something to this one it would be the same on that one as well?

Distinguished Professor
AxshunJaxun
Message 17 of 19 (472 Views)

You can try changing the Mode of your network.

Here are the steps to change the Mode of your network:

1. Log into your router's configuration page. Disconnect from the wireless network and plug in an Ethernet cable directly from your computer  to your router.

2. Open an internet browser

3. In the address bar, put in www.routerlogin.com or www.routerlogin.net

4. Enter the username: admin and password: password

5. Now you should be at the router configuration page. You are looking for 'Wireless' settings. I can't see what you can see on this page but most configuration pages have a 'Setup' or 'Wireless' tab on the left or at the top. 

6. In the wireless tab, look for Mode. Mode should have a drop-down menu with different options. Let me know what those different options are. 

7. If you see an option for G Only there, try that one first. Save your changes. Unplug the Ethernet cable from the computer and connect to the wireless network. Then test the download speed. 

Let me know what results you get :smileyhappy:

Tutor
Archen5
Message 18 of 19 (461 Views)

How do I log into the config page? I plugged in the ethernet cable and went to both websites but neither existed and I'm guessing that is because I did not log into the configuration page, but I do not know how to do this.

Distinguished Professor
AxshunJaxun
Message 19 of 19 (381 Views)

I'm so sorry for the delayed response!

If you're still having this issue, make sure you've got one end of the Ethernet cable plugged into the computer and the other end snugly plugged into one of the numbered ports on the router. You can also try putting the IP address in the address bar.

These steps come directly from Netgear's support site (this link):

netgearrouterloginsteps.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions on that. I will definitely keep an eye out for your reply. Again, I sincerely apologize for the delayed response!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation