Question

Honor Student
Madclerk
Message 1 of 14 (1,778 Views)

HP Envy DV7 Not Connecting To Internet

Just bought a HP Envy DV7 Notebook yesterday and I cannot get it to connect to the Internet. have reset Linksys router, run troubleshooter many times... Sometimes it says no issues found and connection looks fine, but can't get a Web page to come up. Once it said limited access invalid IP configuration, but haven't seen that since I reset router. I did have a page come up once...now it just stays in trying to load mode. All other devices work fine..iPad, another laptop, smart phones, etc.
HP customer service was no help..told me to call my cable service provider..they would have to come out and set up my new laptop. Is there something special about this laptop that makes it different from all the others that I didn't need to do that?
This is my second HP (the other one is now in repair at 1 1/2 years old) and right now I'm about to give it up on HP, take it back for a refund and go back to Dell.
Any help would be appreciated.
Distinguished Professor
anthony82
Message 2 of 14 (1,747 Views)

Re: HP Envy DV7 Not Connecting To Internet

Hello Madclerk,

Your computer will not connect to the internet.

Go to device manager and uninstall the wireless network adapter, restart the computer.

This will uninstall and reinstall the driver for the wireless.

Here is a link to get to the device manger.

Let me know how everything goes.

Honor Student
Madclerk
Message 3 of 14 (1,726 Views)

Finally connected, but pages are loading extremely slow. Had someone come over and test my router with other devices, they were fine...and then they tested this new laptop with 2 different routers. Pages will load if you are right next to the router but not if you move to another room. Downloaded latest Ralink driver from HP Website (tried uninstalling it earlier on advice of one of the posts on here, didn't work) ...worked great for a minute. Rebooted laptop and it wouldn't connect again. Manually uninstalled new driver and downloaded it again. Rebooted and now it slooooow again if you get away from the router. Very frustrated with this laptop right now
Distinguished Professor
anthony82
Message 4 of 14 (1,716 Views)

Madclerk,

The antenna may have come off the wireless card, or you may have a bad card.

If you will post your product and model number, I should be able to find your service manual and it will walk you the steps to check the card.

You can find this information by holding the FN key and pressing the ESC key.

Also if you need to have the card replaced here is a link to a number to call HP and see what options they have for you.

Intern
Den_Solis
Message 5 of 14 (1,701 Views)

Hi

The production number is C2H73UA#ABA

The model number is dv7-7247cl 

(I'm helping madclerk)

Thanks,

Distinguished Professor
anthony82
Message 6 of 14 (1,689 Views)

Den_Solis,

Here is the link to the service manual.

This will walk you through the steps to reseat the card and make sure that the antenna is connected.

Instructions start on page 56.

Intern
Den_Solis
Message 7 of 14 (1,688 Views)

Hi,

The instructions only tell me how to uninstall and re-install.  They do not tell me how to test it to tell if I have a bad card.

What I did yesterday was I place three hp laptops (1 was the one I'm having problems with, the other was a different model of a dv7, and a third was an old HP - XP laptop.)

My dv7 rendered Amazon.com in about 4 seconds.   The XP took about 5 seconds.   Then new dv7 took 15 seconds.

Intern
Den_Solis
Message 8 of 14 (1,685 Views)

Also, how do you remove the antenna leads? do they slide off of do they snap off?

Distinguished Professor
anthony82
Message 9 of 14 (1,682 Views)

Den_Solis,

There is no way to test the card, cause in your case the card is working just not correctly.

When you disconnect the card and reinstall the card, this should give the system a better connection.

The antennas should just snap off, and there should be two.

If reseating the card does not help, you will need to call HP again, since you have had someone already come over and check out the router.

Intern
Den_Solis
Message 10 of 14 (1,680 Views)

I reseated the card.  That did not work.  It is better, but still very slow.

And i know it not the router because of the other two HP laptops that used to test the network.  All three computers were sitting side by side.  Same page on all (www.amazon.com), firefox 21, cache was cleared on all three browsers, and hit return at time time (two people) and timed results.

What is the next step?

Dennis

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation