Question

Tutor
Shibein
Message 1 of 63 (7,727 Views)

HP Envy Windows 8.1 - Wireless button not working

[ Edited ]

Hi, I am having issues with the new 8.1 update

After I updated to Windows 8.1 from 8 my f12/wireless button no longer switched on and off my Envy's airplane mode. I have tried downloading the button driver from here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4132&lc=en&cc=ca&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=5400...

It would not allow me to repair the files and instead gave me an error. I have now tried to uninstall and reinstall the driver but after uninstalling it gives me the same error message. Is there a fix for this problem or will I have to wait for an update of the driver?

Edit: Also the screen change button (the thing that does duplicate, split screen) is not working now either. :smileysad:

Top Student
SeanFromVI
Message 2 of 63 (7,607 Views)

Re: HP Envy Windows 8.1 - Wireless button not working

I also cannot get the updated wireless button driver to work on my HP Envy 14t-k000 under Windows 8.1.  I get an MSI error when trying to install.

HP Support Agent
Dunidar
Message 3 of 63 (7,559 Views)

Shibein and SeanFromVI

Could we get some additional information so we can assist you? If you could please post your product number for your computer. I am linking a document below that will show you how to find your product number.

How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c00033108

Please feel free to re-post once you have the needed information.

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
Top Student
SeanFromVI
Message 4 of 63 (7,555 Views)

I posted mine already but here it is again:

HP Envy Touchsmart 14t-k000 CTO is the full model number.

Thanks,

Sean

HP Support Agent
Dunidar
Message 5 of 63 (7,549 Views)

SeanFromVI

For you I would recommend that you download and install the drivers I am linking below. They are the Windows 8.1 network drivers for your computer and should resolve the issue.

Realtek Local Area Network (LAN) Driver

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp61501-62000/sp61951.exe

Please feel free to re-post as to the outcome of this resolution.

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
Tutor
Shibein
Message 6 of 63 (7,534 Views)

I think my product number is E0M45UA#ABL
Also the error I get when I try to install the wireless button is 1722.
HP Support Agent
Dunidar
Message 7 of 63 (7,531 Views)

[ Edited ]

Shibein

You are actually experiencing 2 different issues here. We are going to need to resolve the 1722 error message first. Follow the steps I am listing below to fix the 1722 error, also ensure you are following the document called “Backing Up, Editing, and Restoring the Windows Registry (Windows 8)” before and during the process.

Backing Up, Editing, and Restoring the Windows Registry (Windows 8)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c03485724

*** ENSURE YOU BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY ***

Step 1. Using “Finding a registry item” in the above document find the following key HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa.

Step 2. You should see a multi-string value (REG_MULTI_SZ) named "Notification Packages".

If it does not exist, create it. Right-click in the right-hand pane and choose "New > Multi-String Value." PLEASE ENSURE YOU CHOOSE MULTI-STRING VALUE HERE

Step 3. Name it Notification Packages.

Step 4. Double-click on Notification Packages to edit it.

Step 5. Type the value scecli on the first line, then click OK.

Step 6. Close and save.

Step 7. Restart your computer.

After your computer reboots try to reinstall your driver.

Please re-post with the results of our troubleshooting.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Tutor
Shibein
Message 8 of 63 (7,527 Views)

I tried finding 

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa 

but I don't get anything. What should I do? 

HP Support Agent
Dunidar
Message 9 of 63 (7,520 Views)

[ Edited ]

Shibein

Okay lets try something different then. Lets try stopping and starting the Windows Installer Package by following the steps below.

Step 1. Press the "Windows key + R"

Step 2. In the "Open" box, type"msiexec /unreg", and then press ENTER.

Step 3. Press the "Windows key + R" again

Step 4. In the "Open" box, type"msiexec /regserver", and then press ENTER

Please feel free to re-post if you have any further questions or concerns.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Top Student
SeanFromVI
Message 10 of 63 (7,513 Views)

I installed the updated driver package for my network driver and that went ok, thanks.  I sitll can't use the wireless network button on my keyboard though to turn things on and off.  I am trying to install package sp63752.exe that I downloaded from the support page for my 14t-k000 laptop for Windows 8.1

Here's a screenshot with the error message I get:

ErrorMessage.png

If I check in control panel I see that it's installed but it still doesn't work.  I then have to uninstall it and it asks me to reboot my system.

I do have the registry setting you suggested in the prior post (HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\Notification Packages set as a REG_MULTI_SZ to scecli).

I think something is off on the installshield installation package.

One other thing of note, this is a fresh install of Windows 8.1 Professional, not an upgrade from Windows 8.

Thanks,

Sean

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation