Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello, i just got a brand new HP Envy. However, i have not been able to maintain a wifi connection. Usually it will not connect to my wifi or will only connect for a few minutes and then say 'limited' and then not connect at all. I did the full windows updates for the computer. I updated the drivers for the wifi adapter. I updated the firmware to my router. I also uninstalled norton. None of these have worked, still will not connect or will connect and drop within a few minutes. My system information is as follows:

Product Name: HP ENVY TS m6 Sleekbook

Product Number: EOK41UA#ABA

[Personal Information Removed]

BIOS (configuration): F/.05-05/28/2013 (0883100022305B00000320100)

Keyboard REvision: 86.32

Total Memory: 8.00 GB

Processor name: Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-4200U CPY @ 1.60GHz

My wifi router information is:

Netgear N150 model WPN824N

Channel is set to auto

Mode: up to 150 MB per Second

Security: WPA2/PSK [AES]

I have two ipads, two iphones, an xbox, a windows phone, two toshiba laptops, and one hp pavillion DM3  that are able to connect and maintain wifi connection with no problem (not all connected at the some time necessarily-it is not an overloading problem). The network is running fine, i just cannot figure out what the problem is with this HP Envy. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Well, after i determined that the wifi worked in safemode, I went into the start up applications and was able to disable them and restart the computer to find which one was messing with the wifi. I disabled the bluetooth motoralla startup software and turned off the safe boot. It immediately connected to wifi and has not dropped it yet. Problem solved. 

View solution in original post

78 REPLIES 78
HP Recommended

i restarted the computer in safe mode, with wireless enabled, and my computer was immediately able to connect to the wifi and held the connection for over 12 hours so far. 

HP Recommended

Well, after i determined that the wifi worked in safemode, I went into the start up applications and was able to disable them and restart the computer to find which one was messing with the wifi. I disabled the bluetooth motoralla startup software and turned off the safe boot. It immediately connected to wifi and has not dropped it yet. Problem solved. 

HP Recommended

Hello Ben_Hull,

Thanks for posting your experience and what fixed your issue.

Please post back on the forum if you have other questions.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

HP Recommended

I'm having this exact same issue, but with a newer model HP Envy.  My model is a TouchSmart m6-k015dx with the 4th gen i5, so I was rather hoping a newer chipset would have matured past this problem.

The moment I brought it home and unpacked it, it started loosing connection to the internet every minute or so.  The WiFi signal indicated it was still strongly connected to our home SSID, but it was simply forgetting how to communicate over it.  A continual ping to our WiFi access point (192.168.0.1) whould definitively show when the WiFi started to malfunction.

None of our other home devices were having issues, so I knew it was something unique to the new HP Envy.

Turning the WiFi off (put it into airplane mode) and then back on again would "burp" the WiFi into working again...for another minute or so.

I did the things discussed elsewhere...ran the HP assistant and updated HP drivers.  Ran Windows updates until everything was up to date.  Went to the HP site and verified I had the latest hardware drivers.  Uninstalled Norton bloatware.  The problem persisted until I stopped the bluetooth processes and disabled them so they wouldn't restart upon reboot.

I'm sorry, but I find it hard to accept that this issue is RESOLVED? if the resolution involves the PERMANENT DISABLING of part of the laptop's functionality?  What if my son wants to use his bluetooth headset with this laptop?  Does he really need to choose between having bluetooth or a stable WiFi connection?

HP Recommended

I'm having the same issue. I have tried everything I read on these threads with no resolve. I have spent more time trying to get a brand new computer to work then I have actually using the computer.

HP really needs to provide a solution. 

Qualcomm Atheros Communications Inc
AR9485 802.11b/g/n wifi adapter

HP Recommended

Hi dseager. I am sorry about your frustration, I'll be happy to help. What model of computer do you have?

Guide to finding your product number:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/findModel?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended
Hp envy dv6 notebook
C2M11UA#ABA
HP Recommended

Hi again. Thank you for the info. Here is the document to help troubleshoot your wireless connectivity. Go through each step in the document and let me know what the results were.

Troubleshooting Wireless Network and Internet (Windows 8):
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05207063

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

This was an absolute waste of time, and everyone elses time who reads this post. HP needs to provide a fix and stop with the bogus troubleshooting tips. Dont you think that people checked to see if their computer was in airplane mode before getting this far in the process?!? Seriously.

I will never purchase another HP. I WISH i could return this one.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.