Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Still no resolution? This computer is not going to fix itself.

thank you

HP Recommended

My "solution" to the wifi problem isn't a real fix, but I decided that the TS 17 had more pros than cons and was therefore worth compromise to keep.  So, I bought a TP-LINK 300Mbps Mini Wireless N USB Adapter (model TL-WN823N, $14.99, Amazon).  Yes, it takes up one of the four USB ports, and yes, it sticks out a bit although not as much as most dongles.  The upside is that it works without problems and delivers the speed I want.  Amazing little product, highly recommended.  

Aside from the wifi issue, the TS 17 seems to be working for now.  It was rather slow at first, especially for an i7-equipped PC, but things picked up once I uninstalled the Symantec security software and replaced it with Microsoft's security.  

The HP is still not as fast as my VAIO F1190X (also an i7), which has been running more or less nonstop since early 2010.  Off-topic, it's frustrating that Sony doesn't make the F1190X or a successor now.  That was my reason for getting the TS 17; my VAIO isn't getting any younger and is probably pushing its MTBF.  It's getting tough to find these big "laptops" especially if you're picky about who makes them.  

HP Recommended

We have the same problem  and done exacty what you did.  What type of WIFI rounter?   ( Netgear)

@dseager wrote:
Hp envy dv6 notebook
C2M11UA#ABA

HP Recommended

Yeah this has been a very frustrating process - and I would never purchase another HP because of it. Plus I have had really good luck with Dell and Alienware in the past. I should have stuck with what works. You know - you would think that HP would provide a hardware fix. I have tried multiple routers - Linksys and Netgear, with the exact same result. And no HP, restarting the router does not fix the problem with this computer!

Anyway, I will try your solution of purchasing an external WiFi thing - until HP pony's up and provides a fix (which I know they will not due)

HP Recommended

I have used Netgear and Linksys wireless routers. It doesnt matter what type or brand. There is obviously an issue with this machine and HP is ignoring me without fixing it. 

HP Recommended

Is HP ever going to provide a real fix for this issue?

HP Recommended

I bought the HP Envy Touchsmart M6 today. 

Imagine the excitement of unboxing a new machine, one you've been saving all your money for... for almost a year... 

and then you turn it on. Everything seems perfect... 

till the wifi singal shows limited connectivity...

6 hours down the road, I've tried every possible fix out there. None of the fixes from Windows 8 or HP manual seem to work. 

And now, I find the internet swarming with crap anout this limited conectivity issue...

The worst part in this thread is, HP will not even reply to these threads anymore cos they're out of options...

Dear HP tech supports... I run a web development and software solutions firm which employs over 250 people. 

It saddens me to see the unprofessional way you're handling this with.

Please prioritize this matter and a find a fix for us... I will not turn off the bluetooth cos that aint a real fix...

If you fail to respond and assure the people in this thread of your corporation...

I will make around ten website in the best domains with titles such as "NeverBuyHP.TC" etc etc and my team of 250 dedicated developers will make sure that the shot is heard around the world. And I'm sure with no response from you, people from this thread and all over the internet will make my job much more easier. 

Companies like you are expected to be on their best... You charge money not just for the products, but for your name as well. The BRAND crap

I do not mean to threaten you or anything but you need to understand that professionalism requires caring for your clients...

I hope you find a fix for this really soon

HP Recommended
Don't plan on HP providing a fix. They are ignoring us and this thread. I would recommend returning your computer and going with a different brand.
HP Recommended

FWIW, my DSL modem/router is the Actiontec (Qwest/CenturyLink) Q1000.  I've also tried the Actiontec C1000A, which I bought under the mistaken belief that the problem was with the router.  It's not the router.  

On the positive side, the TP-LINK Adapter (TL-WN823N) continues to work just fine.  

HP Recommended

I firmly believe everyone who has had to buy additional adapters to get their wifi to work should be financially compensated by HP.  I am going to call HP and complain and insist on a price adjustment.  I have chatted with HP twice, tried every work around, setting adjustment, drivers etc . . . and still no dice.  The current installed adapter is Intel wirless Dual Band AC-3160.  I purchased a Netgear A6200 Dual Band 802.11 AC, which works without a hitch.   Maybe if HP take a hit financially with all of the returned products or requests for price adjustment, they will finally make it right.  This is my second laptop, same problem.  I am still within my 21 days.  I could very well return it and take my business elseware.  I am sure HP won't respond to this thread anymore either.  Chickens

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.