Question

Student
currentap
Message 1 of 8 (4,441 Views)

HP G50. must hold down wireless button to stay connected

Sorry if I'm repeating, a question, I've been digging for the answer and am spent. it's the HP G50-109NR purchased December 2008 (from Staples if it matters). If the "connect" button is held in, all is well, but upon releasing it disconnects (other computers in the household stay connected fine). Any information would be much appreciated, trying to find answers for another individual.
Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 2 of 8 (4,440 Views)

Re: HP G50. must hold down wireless button to stay connected

Hi,

The best way i think is giving him to the service cause you have warranty on it.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
Grad Student
nazcar4u
Message 3 of 8 (4,462 Views)

your in luck!! I just fixed this exact problem, on the same model notebook this today !!

I am assuming you have Vista 32bit

click this link :

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=2093&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3808643

then scroll down to "Driver - Keyboard, Mouse and Input Devices" and click on "HP Quick launch buttons" and download and install it

then restart your notebook and it should be just fine. I know your wondering what the quick launch buttons have to do with it, trust me, it will fix this

situaton of having to hold the button down to connect!!

All of my posts reflect my opinion only and not of HP.
Student
Reenieger
Message 4 of 8 (2,856 Views)

I want to thank you for your post. The same solution worked on my G70.  What really pisses me off is I called HP Tech Support and their answer was to return the laptop to HP for repair as the "button appears to be broken"! Can you believe that? I wonder how much that would have cost me?? That is the second time I have been misled HP Tech Support. The first incident I was charged $60 to be handed over to their support vendor, who pointed me back to HP site to download a driver.  I ended up writing a presidential letter of complaint to get my money back.  Now this incident. Looks like my  next computer is going to be a Dell.

Again, thank you for your post, if anyone has the same problem with their G70, this solution will work on that laptop as well. All the best, Correne

Student
sandy6858
Message 5 of 8 (2,700 Views)

I tried the fix listed below and it worked one time.  After trying many many things found on the internet with nothing working.  Finally, I tried shutting down the computer while continuously holding down the wireless button as being "on" until it was totally shut down.  IT WORKED. 

Student
jayzhel
Message 6 of 8 (1,660 Views)

WOW! Thank you sooo much! its a one time fix!

Student
TechnicallyChal
Message 7 of 8 (1,625 Views)

Thank you so much for taking the time to post what worked for you so that others might benefit.  I have spent hours trying to figure out why wireless only worked while I held down the wireless button on my Compaq laptop. I followed these steps, and it worked like a charm!  God bless you!

Student
TVPatriot
Message 8 of 8 (1,344 Views)

My wife's laptop would not logon to wireless, (after 3 years of good service.)  Held down wireless button until it turned blue, it took two tries , then selected shut down.  Problems solved.

Thanks for sharing!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation