Question

Honor Student
Malacath
Message 1 of 4 (138 Views)

HP Pavilion G6 Wireless problem

I have an extremely annoying problem with my laptop.

At completely random times I will get a red X on the wireless signal icon and I then can't connect to the internet until I either reboot or run the network troubleshooting. This can happen a couple of times a day or sometimes I can go whole weeks without it happening but either way it is annoying.

I went on the driver downloads section of this website and found a driver that is supposed to fix this issue.

After checking I realised I already have this driver installed because the version numbers in the device manager and the driver file on the website match.

Is there anything else I can do to fix this as the driver update clearly does not fix this issue even though it claims to.

Honor Student
Malacath
Message 2 of 4 (132 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion G6 Wireless problem

Just to add my laptop has Windows 8 on it and the wifi adaptor is a Ralink RT5390R

Also i've been looking in power management and the wirelss is set to medium power savings when running on battery.

I can't remember is the problem has happened when plugged in so could setting it to maximum performance fix it?

HP Support Agent
Waterboy71
Message 3 of 4 (97 Views)

Hi Malacath, you can try to set the power level to maximum and that will put the same amount of power to the Ralink as what the power cable does. If this does not resolve your issue, what could be causing the issue is the windows firewall. Here is a NONE Hp youtube link that shows you how to disable the windows firewall. The firewall could be the cause of the problem with your WiFI connection.  Please click on the link and follow the instructions. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkdarCF2lk

If you need more assistance, please feel free to respond.

Thank you

Waterboy71

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

W a t e r b o y 71
I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
Malacath
Message 4 of 4 (95 Views)

Thanks.

I don't think it could be Windows Firewall as I have only been using that for a few weeks.

Before that I was using Norton Internet security and the problem used to happen then as well.

Besides I didn't think it was safe to be connected to the internet without a Firewall?

Anyway I have tried uninstalling, restarting the computer then reinstalling the driver for the wifi adaptor in the hope that it is a corrupt driver.

I will see how it goes and if the problem returns I will turn the powersaving to maximum performance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation