HP Pavilion G6 - no WiFi Signal - "Broadcom 4313GN" problem (10020 Views)
Top Student
mscag
Message 1 of 9 (10,020 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Pavilion G6 - no WiFi Signal - "Broadcom 4313GN" problem

[ Edited ]

Hi,

My laptop (HP Pavilion G6, PN: QG846EAR#ABU) with Windows 7 Home Edition is having connectivity problems through its WiFi. The WiFi hardware is recognised as "Broadcom 4313GN 802.11b/g/n 1x1 Wi-Fi Adapter" by the Device Manager but it can not detect any WiFi signals around. I tried disabling and enabling it through FN-F12. This action works but does not affect the situation. Initially it had the driver ver. 5.100.82.82 dated 20.05.2011.

I found two new driver updates from Broadcom and HP sites, but none worked. (ver:5.100.82.95-date:1.4.09, and ver:5.100.82.139-date8.5.2012)

I restored Windows 7 Home to factory defaults but this didn't work either.

I booted with Fedora and Knoppix live CD's but none managed to see any signal, although both detected the correct WiFi hardware.

I checked and then changed the BIOS values to default but this didn't help.

When a USB WiFi is connected, the PC is working fine.

Under the battery, the WiFi device is named as "bcm94313hmgb"

Any idea ?

Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Message 2 of 9 (9,995 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion G6 - no WiFi Signal - "Broadcom 4313GN" problem

[ Edited ]

Hello mscag.  I understand that you're having some issues with your wireless card.

It is very strange for the card to be properly detected but not detecting any networks.  The fact that the issue occurs after a recovery (as well as when using other operating systems such as Knoppix) impies that this is a hardware related issue.  It is possible that the antennas inside the notebook have become disconnected or that the card needs to be reseated.  

I'd like to provide you with detailed instructions on disassembling and reseatting the card but I was unable to locate your notebook by the product number you provided above.  Take a look at this document and verify your product number for me.  

In the meantime I suggest hard resetting the notebook.  This forces all of the hardware to be reinitialized and can solve a wide variety of both software and hardware issues.  So, it is always a good place to begin.  Here are the steps.

1. Shut down the notebook.
  2. Remove the battery and AC power.
  3. Press and hold the power button for 15-20 seconds three times.
  4. Replace the battery and AC power.
  5. Boot the notebook and verify whether the issue persists.

I will be looking forward to your reply.  I hope you have a great evening! :smileyhappy:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

I work for HP.
Top Student
mscag
Message 3 of 9 (9,977 Views)

Hi,

I have followed the instructions for the Hard Resetting, but the result is the same.

According to the printings inside the battery cage, the product number is QG846EA#ABU (g6-1259sa).

I also thought that it might be a disconnection of the antenna to the WiFi card, but didn't want to risk the warranty, as there is a sticker on the cover for the HD, WifiCard, and RAM. Attached are some pictures of the sticker. Am I going to risk the warranty if I remove the mentioned sticker ?

Regards.

Back cover with the stickerSticker details

Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Message 4 of 9 (9,954 Views)

[ Edited ]

Good morning mscag.

Normally the wifi card is a "user replaceable part."  This means that if HP determined your part was defective and needed to be replaced that they would send you the part and have you install the new part.  Also, reseating the card is a standard troubleshooting step.  So, as far as I am aware this should in no way void your warranty.  These steps can be found in HP's public documents (such as this one for the Bluetooth) and a Support Agent would have you perform the same steps.

If this notebook is under warranty I suggest you go ahead and contact HP Support.  They will have you walk through the same steps I would on the forums but they will be able to get you replacement parts or a repair set up if it is deemed necessary.  I feel this would be the most efficient use of your time.  Consumers in the US/Canada can call 1-800-474-6836.  If you're in another part of the world you'll need to visit HP Support Worldwide to locate your region's contact information.

If you have any further questions feel free to ask.  I hope you have a great day! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

I work for HP.
Top Student
mscag
Message 5 of 9 (9,895 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I have opened the cover. Next to the Broadcom card, there are two cables but only one is terminated with a female connector and this is connected to one of the two male connectors available on the card.

I couldn't find any wiring diagram for the Broadcom card, so I am not sure wether the situation is signalling to any faulty card or a disconnection problem. Attached is the picture of the card.

Any idea ?

Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Message 6 of 9 (9,870 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello again mscag.  

So, one of the wires is not connected?  This is likely the cause of your problem.  Take a look at your notebook's Maintenance and Service Guide.  Specifically look at page 54 which covers the removal of the WLAN card.  It states that there should be two wires to disconnect (the main and auxiliary antennas).  

I can't quite tell in the picture but it looks like you should be able to reconnect that loose wire.  I would suggest connecting that wire and if it doesn't solve the issue then I would contact HP Support.

To give HP Support a call in the US/Canada you can call them at 1-800-474-6836.  If you're in another part of the world you'll need to visit HP Support Worldwide to get your region's contact information.

Let me know if connecting that cable resolves your issue.  Have an excellent rest of the day! :smileyhappy:

I work for HP.
Top Student
mscag
Message 7 of 9 (9,852 Views)

Hi Again,

The lose cable didn't have a connector at its end. I managed to obtain a cable with a connector for 30USD, and combined them together, thus connecting the resulting cable to the card.

Now, everything is working fine.

Thank you.

Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Message 8 of 9 (9,842 Views)

Good morning.

I am glad to hear that your issue was resolved!  You should make sure to mark this post as solved.  This helps other users locate answers to their questions. 

Make sure to pay the forums a visit again if you ever need help in the future.  The community is truly a great resource.

I hope you have an excellent week mscag!

I work for HP.
Student
sawlani_123
Message 9 of 9 (3,558 Views)

sir i also have the same problem just last week all the programs on my  pc were changed to windows explorer and after  recovery my pc is  not able o detect an wifi signals  before recovery all it was working fine please help me .

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation