Question

Student
jolenew
Message 1 of 1 (569 Views)

HP Pavilion dv4 wireless network not connecting to wpa2 home network

I have an HP Pavilion DV4 Notebook PC running Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium. We've had this computer connecting to a WEP wireless network for several years. We recently changed our service to a WPA2-Personal network and the computer will not connect automatically or manually.

I've gone into the Network and Sharing Center and then Manage Wireless Networks to delete the old network and set the new network to connect automatically but when I do this, the HP Wireless Assistant disables itself then enables itself and I'm back to where I started with the old network back on the list and my new network back to connecting manually.  I've checked to see that the driver for the new network is up to date and it says it is.  I'm not getting any errors except that the new network is not set to connect automatically.  I click to have the computer resolve this issue and the same thing happens, it says it's fixed but it won't connect and when I check the properties, it still shows to connect manually.

I feel as though I've done a fairly exhaustive search and I apologize if this is a ridiculous problem but I simply cannot figure out how to fix it. 

I will also mention that right after we purchased the computer, we visited a friend who also had a WPA2 wireless network and we were never able to get the computer to connect though it has connected to other networks. This may not mean anything, but it leads me to believe that the security type may be part of the issue but that's just my uneducated opinion.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation