Question

Top Student
ekatiel
Message 1 of 9 (2,912 Views)

HP Pavilion dv6 keeps losing its wifi connection

For several months now, my HP laptop has been losing its wifi internet connection randomly.  Usually, a system restart will recover the wifi, but lately, I've been having to restart the computer 5 or more times for the wifi signal to recover.  Here's what happens:  I am merrily surfing the internet, when all of a sudden, I can't load new pages due to a lack of connection (other devices in my house continue to work normally, so it is defnitely a problem with my laptop, not the connection).  The wifi button on my keyboard stays blue (in the "on" position).  I restart the computer, sometimes all is well and I get connection again.  Sometimes, the wifi button turns orange (off) when I restart, and the computer tells me that my wifi is off and I should press the button to start it.  Pressing the button does nothing.  The only thing that will reestablish my connection is restarting the computer until the wifi button decides it's happy again and turns blue.  I have tried updating my wifi adapter driver.  I have the most recent update I can find (from July 2012).  Here are my product details:

Product Name: HP Pavilion dv6

Product Number: A7W61UA#ABA

Wifi Adapter: RALINK RT5390 802.11b/g/n

Driver Date on Wifi Adapter: 7/5/2012

Driver Version of Wifi Adapter: 3.2.14.0

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Message 2 of 9 (2,883 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv6 keeps losing its wifi connection

[ Edited ]

Hello ekatiel.  I understand that you're having trouble with your notebook's wireless connection.

I noticed on your notebook's software page that it is supported by both Windows 7 and Windows 8.  Which version of Windows are you currently using?

Have a great day!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

Top Student
ekatiel
Message 3 of 9 (2,876 Views)

I am running Windows 7.  Thanks for any help you can give!

Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Message 4 of 9 (2,843 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello again ekatiel.

How far away is the router from the notebook?

I'd like you to remove the current driver and install the latest version.  Here are the steps.

1. Click Start, type "Device Manager," and press Enter.
  2. Expand the "Network Adapters" section.
  3. Right click on your wireless card and select "Uninstall."
  4. After it completes reboot your computer.
  5. Install this version of the driver.
  6. Reboot your computer again and verify the result.

Have a great day.  I"ll keep an eye out for your next reply.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Top Student
ekatiel
Message 5 of 9 (2,798 Views)

Sorry it's been so long.  I was on vacation.  I just completed what you asked.  I am getting the following message:

"This program might not have installed correctly" and then I am given two options: "reinstall using recommended settings" or "this program installed correctly".  The internet is working as of now, but it usually takes about 24 hours for it to go out (although it went out on me twice today).  In answer to how far the router is from the computer, it is in another room in the house, but none of the other devices or computers we have hooked to it ever have a problem getting/keeping a signal.

Top Student
ekatiel
Message 6 of 9 (2,797 Views)

One more note:  I should say that I did everything but your last instruction to reboot the computer.  I have not rebooted since I do not know what to do with the strange error message I got about the device possibly not being installed correctly.

Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Message 7 of 9 (2,785 Views)

ekatiel wrote:

One more note:  I should say that I did everything but your last instruction to reboot the computer.  I have not rebooted since I do not know what to do with the strange error message I got about the device possibly not being installed correctly.

Hello again!

If you get the message again I would select "Install using the recommended settings."  I get this error from time to time when installing programs, though I notice no real difference in the way the application works most of the time.  

Let me know how things go and just update the thread if the problem comes back.

Top Student
ekatiel
Message 8 of 9 (2,772 Views)

It lost connection again this morning.  Had to restart the computer manually 4 times before it "found" the connection again.  UGH.

Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Message 9 of 9 (2,738 Views)

ekatiel wrote:

It lost connection again this morning.  Had to restart the computer manually 4 times before it "found" the connection again.  UGH.

Good morning ekatiel.

Have you checked to see if the router has any updated firwmare available?  What is the make and model of the router?

I hope you're having a good day.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation