HP Pavilion dv6000 Wireless adapter missing, plz help! (32279 Views)
Student
Jimmy_85
Message 1 of 25 (32,279 Views)

HP Pavilion dv6000 Wireless adapter missing, plz help!

I have a hp pavilion dv6000 (GA452UA#ABA).  Has AMD processor, and using 32-bit windows vista o.s.  All of a sudden my wireless adaptor stopped working, the light changed to amber, regardless of turned on or off, and the device is missing altogether from my network adaptors in my device manager.  I researched, and see its a fairly common problem, one that HP says is solved by downloading the newest version of BIOS settings.  I downloaded the newest version F.3D  sp.38061.exe.   I believe it downloaded and installed correctly, although it did not fix the problem.  My wireless adapter is still missing for all intensive purposes, with only a amber light remaining.  How do I fix this?!  I've read others talk about changing BIOS setting manually, but I'm no BIOS expert, and know I can cause a lot of problems screwing around in there without knowing what I'm doing, so if thats how you fixed (same model) than could you please explain steps in detail.  Or any other solutions plz?!  HELP!
Top Student
bmaggiore3
Message 2 of 25 (32,262 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv6000 Wireless adapter missing, plz help!

i'm having the exact same issue.  everybody keeps telling me to download a new driver, but i cant get onto the interent to download it.  i tried hooking it directly to my modem, but it wont  work either.  if you get an answer and get ur computer fixed please let me know how to fix it.  i'm pretty sure i'm running the most current BIOS system as well.  my BIOS says F.27...how do i update it if i cant connect to the interent??????????
Top Student
joeywang999
Message 3 of 25 (32,246 Views)

I have the same issue also.  Just occured today (06-27-09) after a windows update.  The updates installed was the new Internet Explorer 8 and Microsoft Office update.  I left the computer to run some errands, got back and boom....no internet.  My wireless adapter is not in the device manager or in the network connection window.  Only my lan connection is present.  I installed the latest BIOS update along with the Broadcom wireless drivers and HP Wireless Assistant.  The wireless light on the laptop just stays amber.  I've moved the switch to the left and right.

My laptop is the DV6233SE.

I'm getting ready to just buy a USB network adapter from Staples if HP can't resolve this.  

Top Student
joeywang999
Message 4 of 25 (32,245 Views)

I forgot to mention I did a full system restore back to factory defaults and still the wireless adapter is missing!!!!!!

WTF!!!

Honor Student
ken85
Message 5 of 25 (32,246 Views)

My pavillion dv6233se did the exact same thing. I installed all drivers downloaded and installed latest bios everything website tells you to do. Ive been on the phone with hp for 2 hours and nothing has worked. They even had me take out the network adapter and put it back in. Nothing they have told me to do has worked. Luckily im still covered under warranty so im sending it in and having it repaired. My advice is just get a usb adapter.
Top Student
joeywang999
Message 6 of 25 (32,148 Views)

So I got off the phone with HP support and my laptop warranty expired April 2009.  OMG!  After discussing the issues (saying it politely), the tech escalated the ticket to level 2 person.  I'm hoping I can get my laptop fixed under that extended warranty thing that HP has.  My laptop is just two months out and this defect is known by HP.  The laptop is showing the same symptoms as described in the warranty. 

If I can't get this defect in my laptop fixed free of charge (basically what's covered on that extended warranty), I will lose all confidence in HP.  It WILL be my last HP computer I buy and will make it known to all others not to buy a HP computer.  I've owned multiple Dell computers and never had issues like this where the company will not fix/replace a known defect in their product.  I gave HP a chance when I bought this laptop.  It has been working great for the past 2 years up till now. 

Not fixing a known issues in a laptop because it's 2 months out of warranty is just playing with numbers.  It just happens my laptop is an outlier on their statistical measure of when the network card will fail.

Top Student
joeywang999
Message 7 of 25 (32,141 Views)

Got off the phone with the case manager and they will not fix it free of charge.

I am VERY DISAPOINTED with HP.  This is the last HP computer I will buy and will not recommend HP to others.  

I was told if I wanted to get the laptop fixed, it will cost $400 + labor + shipping.  Why will I spend $400 to fix when I can get a Dell for $150 more?

Intern
Intern
ab
Message 8 of 25 (32,258 Views)

Watch this video, it may help.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctHTF3oNdxI

This happens to be a TX1000, but they all suffer from the same disease.

Honor Student
levinmpa
Message 9 of 25 (31,606 Views)

HP has known about this problem since June of 2007. Check out this zdnet video. http://blogs.zdnet.com/Berlind/?p=853
Student
dufferSD
Message 10 of 25 (30,644 Views)

Greetings, just experienced the missing wireless adaptor problem for the first time.  I have DV 2125 series laptop.  Never participated in recall or replaced any hardware.

After reviewing a zillion forums, I decided to flash the BIOS to latest revision.

Problem solved. Wireless adaptor is back and working fine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation