Question

Gui Student
Student
Gui
Message 1 of 8 (17,856 Views)

HP Pavilion dv7-1247 wireless problems

Well, I`m from Brazil, and I bought the above mentioned Laptop while I was in the US.

On the first day of usage, I noticed some problems. One of them was the non working cd/dvd driver...actually it worked sometimes and sometimes it didn`t.

Anyway, I came back to my country and I asked for some guys, that know a lot about computers, to help me fix the main problems with it. The wireless was working.

Sometime later, they came to me and told me the laptop was really weird and asked me if it was ok to change the windows vista version from 64 bits to 32 bits...I obviously agreed...I just wanted my pc working correctly.

Everything got to work correctly,,,everything but the wireless internet. We tried everything...we downloaded all the drivers from HP support and I`m afraid my warranty is not worth here, once the pc hasn`t been released yet. I also tried to re-install the 64 bits version but it didn`t change a thing.

The light that indicates if the wireless is turned on or off, is red (wich means it`s off).

So I just need some opinions about what to do...

As I told before, I just want my laptop working correctly (wireless including)

Thanks very much for spending your time reading this

(I know my english is not the best, so I`m sorry about the mistakes)

Teacher
CyberVisions
Message 2 of 8 (17,798 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv7-1247 wireless problems

Hate to say it, but when they told you they wanted to install 32 bit from 64 bit you should've headed the other way with you notebook. Notebooks that are installed with Vista 64 are usually 64 bit from the ground up, and some 32 bit programs that haven't yet made the switch to 64 bit certification might not work right. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with your computer though - it just means the programs aren't 64 bit compatible. Many of the software vendors have made the switch to 64 bit certification, but some older program vendors haven't yet, so if the problems you were seeing were program related, that's why.  Anyone with any real knowledge of systems would know that and wouldn't have asked your permission to install a 32 bit OS on a 64 bit system.

The wireless drivers for both 32 and 64 bit systems are the same, which is why it had no effect on your adapter. If it's off and you can't turn it on, it's either failed or the people that worked on it broke it. Since it was working prior to them working on it, I'd assume the latter.

Check your Device Manager first - if there's a yellow exclamation point next to it, it means the device isn't being seen, meaning it's likely failed or needs to be reseated. Since you haven't said exactly what they did to your system I can't rule out the possibility that they opened the system and messed around with the adapter itself.

Check your Event Logs (Start, type Event, click on Event Viewer) then look at the network diagnostics and application/services logs to see if there's any event that stands out.

Make sure that any firewalls (A/V, Windows, etc.) are also off as they can interfere with an adapter as well.

Do a Hard Reset of your system as well to clear everything out of memory:

Shut down your system, then remove the AC adapter and the battery.

Hold your power button down for at least 20-30 seconds, reinsert the battery, plug in the AC and then restart. 

If it's still offline, run the wireless diagnostics in the Help / Troubleshooting link (Start/Help & Troubleshooting).  

Primarily of the Ancient School -Training by HP, NASA, & the U.S. Submarine Force

HP Pavilion HDX 9300 64-bit Dragon, Core 2 Extreme X9000 2.8ghz | 8gb DDR2 RAM | 512MB 8800M GTS
Vista Ult. 64 | Linksys Dual-Band N Network | DriveSavers Agent | Wiki Answers Supervisor

"Professional Techs don't ask for Kudos or Points"

Honor Student
urska
Message 3 of 8 (15,272 Views)

Hello!

My name is Urska and I have a similar problem. I bought a hp pavilion dv7 with Windows Vista and I changed it to Windows 7. However, the wireless button does not work. The wireless icon keeps going from on to off (when I am lucky), or it is simply  red and hence it doesn't work. It's terrible; a new computer and I don't have the wireless connection. What can I do????

Thank you for the information.

Honor Student
urska
Message 4 of 8 (15,269 Views)

Hello!

My name is Urska and I have a similar problem. I bought a hp pavilion dv7 with Windows Vista and I changed it to Windows 7. However, the wireless button does not work. The wireless icon keeps going from on to off (when I am lucky), or it is simply  red and hence it doesn't work. It's terrible; a new computer and I don't have the wireless connection. What can I do????

Thank you for the information

Honor Student
devilaxel
Message 5 of 8 (14,503 Views)

I work at LECT in Australia and we have found that this issue can be solved by following these steps

1: start computer  press F10 to enter bios

2: go to system configuration

3: Disable- Button Sound and if not already Virtualization Technology

4: save and exit and enjoy :smileyvery-happy:

Student
rooopert
Message 6 of 8 (14,250 Views)

devilaxel wrote:

I work at LECT in Australia and we have found that this issue can be solved by following these steps

1: start computer  press F10 to enter bios

2: go to system configuration

3: Disable- Button Sound and if not already Virtualization Technology

4: save and exit and enjoy :smileyvery-happy:

Absolutly brilliant, thank you! Extremly helpful- strange fix! but it works. You saved me a lot of frustration!!

Honor Student
fmhazan
Message 7 of 8 (8,897 Views)

I had the same problem and the solution worked as a charm for me as well!  (64-bit Windows Vista to 7).

Thank you so much, "devilaxel".

My sound button doesn't worked before, I may live without it :smileyhappy:

Student
simbi
Message 8 of 8 (8,330 Views)

hey fellas i just got the same problem with dv7 but the thing with me is that all was working right the last time i used it (talkin'bout the wireless), so today i just switched on the computer coz i wanted to use the wireless, and that wireless right is red which means it's off i can't turn it on i've tried all the solutions even that you said but it doesn't work, i removed all the wireless softs and reinstalled them it doesn't give any progress, so if anyone can help me i would be thankful

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation