Question

Honor Student
Keri28
Message 1 of 6 (11,351 Views)

HP Pavilion g6 notebook PC (Windows 7, 64-bit)

Hi,

I bought the above notebook a couple of weeks ago. Have Internet with Virgin and a Philips SNB5600 wireless route.

I was able to connect to the net easily by finding my router in the available network connections and entering my WPA2 password.

Last night I must have accidentally hit the bluetooth/internet connection button on the top row of my keyboard. I lost connection to the internet so turned it back on. However, my Philips router is no longer showing in the list of available networks to connect to. Everyone else's network in range is still showing, just not my own router.

I assumed initially this was a router problem, but connected my old PC (that I am using now) with no problem. I can also find my Philips router in the available networks on my phone. It has literally disappeared from my new notebook though.

I've tried my router settings, played around with all the settings on my notebook, but really don't know what to do next.

Any help you could give me would really be appreciated as I'm tearing my hair out.

Many thanks,

Keri

PhD Student
wes_notebooks
Message 2 of 6 (11,334 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion g6 notebook PC (Windows 7, 64-bit)

Keri,

If you know the SSID (network name) then you can try to manually connect to the network even if it does not appear in the list of available networks.  Right-click the network icon in the system tray, Open Network and Sharing Center, Setup a new connection or network, Manually connect to a wireless network.

-wes

I am an HP employee.
Honor Student
Keri28
Message 3 of 6 (11,333 Views)

Thank you for coming back to me Wes.

I did already have a manual connection set up to the network. I have tried deleting it and setting it up again, but although it registers my Philips router it still doesn't appear in the available network connections list.

Keri

PhD Student
wes_notebooks
Message 4 of 6 (11,321 Views)

Keri28,

Try changing the name of your network in the router settings.

-wes

I am an HP employee.
Honor Student
Keri28
Message 5 of 6 (11,319 Views)

Wes,

I just managed to get connection back. Not sure exactly what I did. Something to do with WDS in the wireless settings for my router.

Really appreciate you trying to help me.

Thanks,

Keri

PhD Student
wes_notebooks
Message 6 of 6 (11,314 Views)

Great!  I was afraid this was going to get really technical.

-wes

I am an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation