Question

Honor Student
JamesD90
Message 1 of 6 (3,349 Views)

HP Probook 4440s WLAN is no longer working after Windows installation.

I recently installed a new copy of Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit onto a HP Probook 4440s. Now I can't get the wireless to work. I press the physical switch and the light stays orange and nothing happens. I've tried downloading several different drivers from HP, loading them onto a USB, and installing them that way, but it doesn't appear to be working. I went into the system configuration menu in the BIOS to check on "built in device options" and "embedded WLAN device" is checked as on. I cannot seem to find the WLAN adapter in the Windows Device Manager menu, even when I choose to view hidden devices. I had planned to replace my old work computer with this HP. Any advice would be appreciated. 

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 6 (3,344 Views)

Re: HP Probook 4440s WLAN is no longer working after Windows installation.

Hi,

Definitely you need driver for your machine. This series has dozen of different wireless cards you need to install the right one for the right Operating system (32bit or 64bit). Please check under Network adapters in Device Manaher to see what is it. The following link shows one way to find hardware id:

http://www.wikihow.com/Find-Hardware-ID

Getting the right hardware id, you can download the right driver from the following link:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/ProductList.jsp?locale=en_us&taskId=135&prodSeriesI...

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Honor Student
JamesD90
Message 3 of 6 (3,338 Views)

I will give that a try. Thank you.
Honor Student
JamesD90
Message 4 of 6 (3,324 Views)

I should be looking for the device under "network adapters" right?That is where I would find the ID of the WLAN apater?
Honor Student
JamesD90
Message 5 of 6 (3,317 Views)

UPDATE! 

I finally got my Wifi working properly!

I knew it was a missing driver issue, but none of the drivers I tried from HP seemed to be working. I took the advice of /u/banhien (thanks)  and set out to determine the ID of my WLAN adapter.

I couldn't find it anyhwere under the Windows Device Manager menu. So then I checked under the System Information menu in the BIOS (hit ESC at boot, then hit F1 to access System Info). At the bottom of the list I found "WLAN FCC ID" which was VQF-RT5390.

That helped me determine that my wireless adapter is a Ralink 802.11 b/g/n Wifi adapter. After that I was able to go to the HP Support Center and download the correct driver: http://tinyurl.com/RightDriver.

I downloaded the driver, copied to a flash drive, and installed onto the faulty computer from there. Know my wifi seems to working just fine and the keyboard switch turns it on and off with issue.

Hopefully anyone else who is having this problem will find this post helpful. 

Provost
banhien
Message 6 of 6 (3,310 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for posting back and the tip for other users.

Have a good weekend.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation