Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi all

I need Any Help , I Hav New Laptop HP Probook 4540s ( Windows 7 professional  64-bit ) , Product code C4Z08EA, the Problem :- When install Wireless Driver , Laptop can't find all Wireless Nrtwork available,

the wireless Driver name  ( Ralink WiFi Adapter )

Please Help Me :smileyembarrassed:

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

You may want to post in the business support forums found here.  

You mention the notebook doesn't find all the available networks.  I take it the system is finding some networks indicating that the card is functional.  Do you know if any of the networks operate on the 5GHz frequency?  If so, then only a 2x2 card will see those networks.  Page 9 of this document indicates there are three cards that could be in this system.  There is only one 2x2 card listed.

Go to Start, search for device manager, and then open this result.  Expand the network adapters category and let me know what it shows for the wifi card.  If you do post in the business support forums, this information may be useful there as well.  

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

The wi-fi adapter is Ralink RT3290 802.11bgn

It is unable to see all wireless networks

HP Recommended

@amaniiseme wrote:

The wi-fi adapter is Ralink RT3290 802.11bgn

It is unable to see all wireless networks

Hello amaniiseme.

Have you verfied that the network's SSID is being broadcast?

Do other networks work as expected?

What notebook do you own?  This document can show you how to identify it by the product number.

What version of Windows?

I'll keep an eye out for your reply.  Have a great day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended

Im having a similar problem with the same adapter. My 4540s, purchased in 5/2013, runs Windows 7 pro 64bit, has a Ralink RT3290 802.11bgn. My issue is it was wroking fine, till I did an update. Then it wouldnt authenitcate and connect on my work Wifi network. So I tried doing a restore; nothing. Dont know if its 5Ghz or not. Every other wifi network opperates fine; just my work one doesnt which is frustrating. So I got to stay tethered at work, while everybody else is free to roam. My old Gateway connects fine at work and its 7 years old. Why am I having problems with a new computer?

My current driver is 5.0.9.0. Im going to try and install 5.0.15.0 tomorrow and see if that works. 

I talked to tech support from my job, and they couldnt tell me anything beyond, go to another part of the building with a stronger connection, to connect there, then walk away.  Tried it, and nothing happened.

The last suggestion was to try to input a prefered DNS setting vs letting it selct one automatically . Havent tried that, because I dont think thats the probalem.

Thanks for your help

HP Recommended

@csedwards2 wrote:

Im having a similar problem with the same adapter. My 4540s, purchased in 5/2013, runs Windows 7 pro 64bit, has a Ralink RT3290 802.11bgn. My issue is it was wroking fine, till I did an update. Then it wouldnt authenitcate and connect on my work Wifi network. So I tried doing a restore; nothing. Dont know if its 5Ghz or not. Every other wifi network opperates fine; just my work one doesnt which is frustrating. So I got to stay tethered at work, while everybody else is free to roam. My old Gateway connects fine at work and its 7 years old. Why am I having problems with a new computer?

My current driver is 5.0.9.0. Im going to try and install 5.0.15.0 tomorrow and see if that works. 

I talked to tech support from my job, and they couldnt tell me anything beyond, go to another part of the building with a stronger connection, to connect there, then walk away.  Tried it, and nothing happened.

The last suggestion was to try to input a prefered DNS setting vs letting it selct one automatically . Havent tried that, because I dont think thats the probalem.

Thanks for your help

Hello csedwards2.

Does it actually connect and tell you you're part of a "limited network" or some other error message?

Do you know what you updated around the time the problem began?

Try using Google's public DNS servers.  This link can show you how to set it up.

Let me know.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

HP Recommended

found someone recommending an update to 5.0.21.0 so I did that. No help on connecting to my work wifi, but I did notice when I got home, it was the first time the signal strength was at maximum. 

When it searches for the network, it says Authenticating, then will immediately say Disconnecting 

What is the Google DNS for?

I have a whole list of all the things updated. I think it was from 6/27/2013 because I remember going back to work on the 28th and it didnt work anymore. Did a restore, to no avail. 2 weeks ago, HP wanted to update me again, and I proceeded with the updates, but updated to new version of driver today.

ralink update.jpg

HP Recommended

I give. After all the negative feedback Ive seen on the poor reliability of the Ralink, I want to go head and replace it. THey seem to be pretty inexpensive on that online resaler with the name of a rainforest for its name. What do I need to know to replace? Do I need mini PCe half size or full siz?

HP Recommended

@csedwards2 wrote:

I give. After all the negative feedback Ive seen on the poor reliability of the Ralink, I want to go head and replace it. THey seem to be pretty inexpensive on that online resaler with the name of a rainforest for its name. What do I need to know to replace? Do I need mini PCe half size or full siz?

Hello again!

If you're going to replace the wireless card you need to stick with one that was included in this family of notebooks.  These are listed in the notebook's Maintenance and Service Guide.  If you purchase a card not listed there it may or may not work.

Have a great day.

HP Recommended

Success!!!! 

Ordered a Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 because it appeared to be one of the oly ones that was dual band and had the 2x2 feature. My router of course needs to be upgraded to take advantage, but im at work and the wifi works. Thanks for the help. 

Its a shame i had to upgrade a new wireless card, but it works. No more Ralink for me.

Charles

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.