Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre X360 4009na
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

So I've made a purchase of this Laptop, and I'm very frustrated overall about it.

The worst of the issues, I've been experiencing is the one I had problems with RIGHT when I first turned on the PC. When setting up, it just wouldnt connect to my Wi-Fi network with the best signal (Full bar), It said that it's unable to connect.

I've TRIED EVERYTHING to fix this.

Specifically.

All of the reset, reinstall's, updates, max power options. Everything I've read in HP forums and elswhere. And it's not like I don't know anything about computers, I've been using them and dealing with Windows drivers for 10 years now.

Literally 80% of all the 20+ hours I've been trying to find a solution to this issue.

Only finding that people with this Intel AC 7265 (and brother AC7260) have been having issues all around, with speed, connection. OVER 2 years ago. Why keep using this obviously faulty hardware, that Intel is unable to fix.

So let me simplify this.

I have 2 Wi-Fi networks. 1) 802.11n (problems connecting, but only with THIS EXACT device) 2) 802.11ac (laptop connects to it even with terrible signal)

What makes me able to use 802.11n network. (1 option cripples speed, 2nd option disables many network type connection altogether)

1) In Device Manager > Network Adapters > AC 7265 > Advanced > HT Mode - disabled (from VHT, default). But the speed of the internet shrinks by a half

2) Change wireless mode to ONLY 802.11b*

*And I'm curious why does it only offer options 802.11a ; 802.11b ; 802.11c ; 802.11 b/g ; 802.11a/g ; 802.11 a/b/g

But there is no option for 802.11n, it only gives option to change 802.11n Channel Width. My guess would be that b/n are combined. Because only with 802.11b enabled 802.11n works.

Any solutions to this mess?

23 REPLIES 23
HP Recommended

Wow, what a support. 2 days and not even the generic auto response..

I've got annother problem regarding the Wi-Fi, which is that it drops signal HEAVILY when bluetooth is on.

Is my device defective or not, this is not very normal, I paid 1000+ Euro's for this.

HP Recommended

I just tested this again.

I had my PC running with HT mode - DISABLED. No problems, connects even at the lowest of signal instantly. it connects to the Wi-Fi's using 802.11b.

I turned VHT mode on - It connects to my 802.11ac router, no problem, but it does not connect to my 802.11n router OR it's extender, unless I come right next to it. And then when I speed test I get so-so normal download @11Mbps, but 0.5Mbps Upload.

The connection drops as soon as the signal gets a bit weaker. And I can ONLY connect with full signal bar, and even then I sometimes have to press connect like 4 times.

HP Recommended

Hi @Xypleth,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome. It is a great site for information and questions. Thank you for the very detailed post on what you have done this far. Very helpful.

I have looked into your issue about your HP Spectre x360 13-4009na Notebook and the Wireless connection signal slow and dropping. I would change the Channel on the router. Routers are capable of communicating to your Notebook on several different channels and sometimes this helps.

You could turn off IPv6 for the notebook. Some say this helps.

Fix this problem Microsoft Fix it 50413. 

Here is a link to help as well.

I hope something here helps. Please let me know how this goes.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I FULLY restored the system, reinstalled all the drivers using ONLY the HP site.

The speed is back, I'm now back at 20Mbps Down and about 40Mbps Up. Which is okay.

But connectivity issues still remain for 802.11n . I tried the possible solutions you gave me, didn't help.

EDIT: Is there a possibility that a part of the Wifi chip (802.11n) is not functioning properly and it might be a hardware fault? Because I want to get things moving, it was this way when I got it out of the box. All the other devices connect to my network quickly and have great speed.

HP Recommended

Hey @Xypleth,

Thanks for letting me know you have tried the steps. If this did not help, please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number

Case number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I got 0 support. The guy was just asking me all the info he can get, after I wrote about 1 full page, describing the problem I am having he told me to contact the router manufacturer...

Is there a guide available for how to configure router to work on HP Spectre x360. All my other devices are working, if this is really some sort of setting in the router, then my future with this product could be going to all the restaurant owners, begging to change router settings, just so I can get into their Wi-Fi, this is ridiculous.

Is there really no way to diagnose this? Can I send some wifi report, will there be some information given of why the adapter cannot connect to my wireless network.

HP Recommended

Hi @Xypleth ,

I don't know how to change the router settings, I can only recommend what has worked with others. I would change the Channel on the router 36 has helped.

Thanks.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

New drivers released on Intel website!!! I've finally am able to connect to all my routers with 802.11n connection.

Here https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=ac+7265 

I downloaded both Bluetooth and Wireless for 64bit and installed BT first. Then completely uninstalled the Wi-Fi drivers, installed the new drivers, restarted and it works! Finally, I had lost all my hopes. I wonder if it stays working now after next reboot, I'm scared to restart the system.

Edit: Yes it does

AND IT DOESNT HAVE INTERNET CONNECTION if I'm not standing next to the router...

PROBLEM IS NOT SOLVED.

HP Recommended

Congrats on getting your system to work! 

Since it didn't work for me I wanted to let you know I just posted it on http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Wireless-Internet-Home-Networking/Spectre-13-4003dx-x360-wifi/m-p/51622...

It's only a partial fix but makes it bearable 

Fredrik

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.