HP Wireless Assistant not working (83150 Views)
Honor Student
MHD-666
Message 1 of 39 (83,150 Views)

HP Wireless Assistant not working

I have a HP Presario F500, and the wireless assistant is not working. It used to work perfectly, but now it doesn't.

When I flick the switch on the front of my laptop to turn it on, the light remains amber. When I go into the control panel and double click HP Wireless Assistant, nothing happens. When I go into device manager, WLAN doesn't come up. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling it many times, but nothing's worked.

What can I do?

Honor Student
kohi
Message 2 of 39 (82,878 Views)

Re: HP Wireless Assistant not working

i've exactly the same problem with my dv2415. did u find a solution?

Top Student
YorxBrox
Message 3 of 39 (82,863 Views)

Hi MHD-666, suggest you could repost this in thread "Presario F560EM (UK) no wireless and no wireless assistant", where you find lots of fellow sufferers.

HP have pointed me to a recall - you might be lucky enough to be covered - currently I am not - see http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01480071&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_US...  Please let us know if you are !

Grad Student
nazcar4u
Message 4 of 39 (82,846 Views)

I found this post on this site. Anyone want to try it? what do you have to lose.

well i have had a measure of success...

after completely formatting the laptop and uninstalling all the unnecessary software from the original factory image (norton antivirus being the chief intension of this exercise) and installing all of the updates available from the hp download site...best to do this in the following order...

update (flash) the Bios

install all the Nvidia updates (chipset and Video)

Audio 

Modem (only if you use this to access the internet or possibly will in the future - ie on vacation)

Hp software updates (Quick Launch and Q/L Critical update)

Essential Vista updates (these are the ONLY Microsoft related updates I installed) 

Finally the Wireless Driver update (in my case the Broadcom W/L Card)

and the little blue light came back !!! Even better was that it turns off when it's supposed to and back on when it is supposed to.  

Wireless Works - I tested by connecting to multiple different networks for stability (just go to a couple of different MacDonald's, Starbuck's and Safeway stores to try this if you cannot find available networks in your neighbourhood)  You don't have to connect to them, just get to the point where it checks for the passcode/network key and you've successfully communicated with the router and this will count as connecting to a wireless device.

i have TURNED OFF ALL WINDOWS UPDATES, this is important because it is an update to the operating system (Windows Vista) that is causing the problems in the first place.  (Not a conspiracy between HP/Compaq and Microsoft to cause you to pay for expensive parts that don't fix the problem or go out and pay for a full copy of Windows Vista and have it installed professionally)

I used to work for the retailer that sold me this laptop for my step daughter (and HP authourized repair centre) and now i work for a Network and Systems Support HelpDesk so i can safely say that you don't need to fall for the warning from Microsoft about needing to keep your operating system constantly updated because if you connect to a Wireless network in the fireplace you are behind a firewall and thus protected by the nasty little things floating around out there.   If you are worried about the security concerns about your browser (internet explorer) the download Firefox - it is built on a much safer code and is regularily updated as well and won't leave you open to installing the nasty microsoft code that breaks your laptop.  

Long story short, the laptop wireless card disappeared on my step daughter's F700 series Compaq laptop and after spending 16 hours on it to get the wireless card not to disappear (and the system stable enough to where i felt comfortable to give it back to her) this is what it took.  Total out of pocket expenses $0

if the laptop had to go hp for out of warranty repairs - anywhere from $400 - $500

your local computer repair shop $150 (if they just formatted and reinstalled the factory image - which does bring the card back to working order)

$200 - &300 if they replace the wireless card   (but remember no parts need to be replaced) 

my best advice for the average person out there with this problem and they are not comfortable trying to fix this problem themselves is to spend the $40 for a USB wireless adapter, it might be a little inconvienent but at least it is a whole lot cheaper.  

lets face it most people bought these laptops because they were good quality units (and anything with an AMD 64 processor at this price point is worth it)

the original price for her laptop was $699 and going out and spending hundreds to get the wireless fixed is just fiscally silly, especially when it won't fix the problem.   Remember the root cause of this problem is from the operating system and the Updates it receives.

I know I have been rambling but this is how i fixed it and want to make sure it is all out here so i don't get a hundred emails and messages on the why and hows. 

All of my posts reflect my opinion only and not of HP.
Student
Ravenholdt1
Message 5 of 39 (80,904 Views)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=1842189&docname=c01087277#c01087277_identify

HP has identified a hardware issue with certain HP Pavilion dv2000/dv6000/dv9000 and Compaq Presario V3000/V6000 series notebook PCs, and has also released a new BIOS for these notebook PCs, version F.39 for dv2000/V3000, and version F.3D for dv6000/dv9000/V6000.
  NOTE: If you are a customer in Canada with an HP Notebook model DV2412CA or DV2404CA, do not update the notebook to BIOS version F.39.
If you own an HP Pavilion dv2000, HP Pavilion dv6000, HP Pavilion dv9000 or Compaq Presario V3000, Compaq Presario V6000 series computer, are experiencing no symptoms on your computer, and would like to obtain more information about updating your system to the new BIOS release, please go to the "Update the BIOS to the latest version" section on this page. If you are experiencing one or more symptoms listed below, and your computer meets the product criteria listed below, contact HP to determine whether you are eligible for a free repair.
  NOTE: This service enhancement program is available in North America for 24 months after the start of your original standard limited warranty for issues listed below; otherwise your current standard limited warranty applies. Customers who already have a 24 month or longer warranty period will be covered under their existing standard HP Limited Warranty

click/paste link @ top to view more

Helped me quite a bit - dont have to pay for HPs hardware errors.

Student
remington2
Message 6 of 39 (71,052 Views)

I have tried to follow your instructions and they have worked and my blue light comes on and my wireless works after I update (flash) bios but when I restart my computer it will not recognize the internal wireless and blue light does not work until I flash bios again this is driving me batty anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Honor Student
walterburns
Message 7 of 39 (71,001 Views)

I had the same problem on my HP Pavillion dv 6449.

Question: Does converting to Windows 7 solve the problem?

ag

Student
fozzy_ozborn
Message 8 of 39 (69,650 Views)

I have a few quick questions if you wouldn't mind.

I have the same issue w/ my wireless assistant.

It happened on Decmember 9th.

My Bios is the most up to date.

How difficult is it to format the Hard Drive?

And  how does one reformat w/ a preloaded system?

As you stated in your post I purchased this w/ the intention of being wireless, not having to be grounded next to my modem/router.

Student
kennycop
Message 9 of 39 (69,415 Views)

I am running Windows 7 and have the same problem

Honor Student
thayne88
Message 10 of 39 (69,346 Views)

Have HP Pavilion dv9000.

BIOS flash update did not work.

Next option, anyone?

May try the USB wireless adapter next.  Very frustrating issue.  Like someone mentioned above, we bought the laptop to be able to use it throughout the house, not tied to the DSL line.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation