Question

Honor Student
sjlisle
Message 1 of 3 (1,169 Views)

HP dv6-3045sa: Wireless network connectivity issues: Broadcom 4313 & NetGear Cable Gateway (VMDG280)

Hi, I wondering if someone can help me?

I recently purchased a ‘HP Pavilion dv6-3045sa Entertainment Notebook PC’, but I am experiencing issues when trying to connect (via my laptops wireless adapter: Broadcom 4313 802.11b/g/n) to a Virgin Media NetGear Wireless N Cable Gateway (VMDG280).

I can connect to the internet using the router via an Ethernet cable.

However I experience the following issues when trying to connect via the wireless adapter.

1. I find it is hit & miss as to whether or not my SSID is picked up via ‘Network Connection’ Status Panel

2. When it does pick up the SSID, I try connecting, prompted to enter the router ‘pass phrase / security key’ but it does not seem to accept it.

I have pretty much tried everything obvious (that I and the ISP helpdesk can think of) to fix the issue;

• Recycling the router
  • Recycling the wireless adapter
  • Changing the SSID
  • Changing the Pass Phrase
  • Disabling the WPA-PSK[TKIP] + WPA2-PSK[AES] security settings (on the router)
  • Defining the SSID & Pass Phrase via Control Panel > Network & Internet > Manage wireless Networks
  • Updating the router and wireless adapter to the latest firmware levels.

Broadcom 4313 802.11b/g/n = 5.60.350.11

VMDG280 = Hardware Version 1.05 Software Version V4.4.4R08

The ISP Helpdesk believe the wireless network adapter is not compatible with the router (and recommended changing it)?

However I’m not entirely sure what that will involve . . . i.e. Is it just a case changing the driver firmware (if so, what is compatible)? Or would I need to purchase a new piece or hardware (if so, what is compatible)?

I have tried Googling the problem, and whilst there have been several hits for similar connectivity issues for Windows 7, wireless adapter and router issues. There is no concrete advice to follow on what to do?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated (especially as one of the reasons for buying the new laptop was the wireless functionality . . . Doh!).

Regents Professor
pepe999
Message 2 of 3 (1,129 Views)

Re: HP dv6-3045sa: Wireless network connectivity issues: Broadcom 4313 & NetGear Cable Gateway (

Hi,

This wireless card works up to 72Mbps anyway so I suggest to replace it.

The best choice would be:

Broadcom 43224 802.11a/b/g/n 2x2 WLAN module pn: 582564-001 for the North America

or the same card pn: 582564-002 for the rest of the world

However, you have to find out which wireless module exactly it is. It might be a wifi+bluetooth combo and this card has to be replaced by also a combo module..

See this manual, pages 23-26

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02657339.pdf

Dv6-7000 /Full HD/Core i5-3360M/GF 650M/Corsair 8GB/Intel 7260AC/Samsung Pro 256GB
HP Touchpad provided by HP
Currently on Debian Wheeze

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
Honor Student
sjlisle
Message 3 of 3 (1,118 Views)

Re: HP dv6-3045sa: Wireless network connectivity issues: Broadcom 4313 & NetGear Cable Gateway (

Hi there Pepe999, thanks for the response.  It just so happened I googled 'VMDG280' for the dozenth time this evening and actually came across the solution.  Basically all I had to do was log on to the router and disable (untick) the 'Firewall features' under the Service menu, then click on Apply.

Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation