Question

Top Student
FieryCam
Message 1 of 3 (651 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP dv7-4080us Wireless Card Problem

HP Support Assistant recently had me download a new driver for the Intel Wifi Link 1000 BGN wireless card on my HP dv7-4080us laptop. After the update, the wireless card could not be detected, so I shut down the computer and turned it on again. During the boot up process, a hard drive check was performed, and hundreds of messages about corrupted files were displayed. I do not know the extent of the corruption, and my wireless card still cannot be detected. I cannot use a previous system restore point, because somehow the alloted hard drive space for restore points was set to 0%. Any suggestions on the best way to go about fixing this?

Top Student
FieryCam
Message 2 of 3 (627 Views)

Re: HP dv7-4080us Wireless Card Problem

Update:

I was previously unable to rollback to the previous driver, as those options were greyed out in the Device Manager. After another restart, they were functional, and I have restored WiFi capabilities. However, my anti-virus software cannot locate its virus database, most likely due to the corrupted files. I am reinstalling the software now. I do not know what other problems the file corruption has caused. I am hoping a fresh install of the OS isn't necessary.

Regents Professor
pepe999
Message 3 of 3 (621 Views)

Re: HP dv7-4080us Wireless Card Problem

I wouldn't use the HP Assistant for any driver update or even at all. The best way is to update drivers when necessary and from the manufacturer websites so in this case from http://downloadcenter.intel.com/

Dv6-7000 /Full HD/Core i5-3360M/GF 650M/Corsair 8GB/Intel 7260AC/Samsung Pro 256GB
Testing - HP 15-p000
HP Touchpad provided by HP
Currently on Debian Wheeze

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation