Question

Honor Student
Bruins44
Message 1 of 14 (11,913 Views)

Help with Ralink RT5390 Network Adapter - slow connection at times

I just purchased a Compaq CQ57-319wm with an Ralink RT5390 network adapter.  The network adapter signal strength fades in and out going anywhere from 72mbs down to 1.0 mbs.  Frustrating because I have a Sony Vaio, 2 Apple MacBooks, Playstation 3, Xbox 360, Grace internet radio, and 2 iphones that connect with zero issues or signal drop.

I am using Windows 7 and have updated all the software drivers and BIOS.  Still the same issue of signal dropping below my internet spead.  I have tried to sit right next to the router but still experience the same signal variability.  The router is a Cisco LinkSys.

Any ideas on what to try?  Is the network card bad?

Thanks

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 14 (11,907 Views)

Re: Help with Ralink RT5390 Network Adapter - slow connection at times

[ Edited ]

Hi:

Go into the advanced settings tab for the network card in the device manager. If it has a WMM setting make sure it is enabled. It it has a roaming setting, set that to low or disabled.  If it has a multimedia or gaming mode, set that to enabled.

See if changing your router's broadcast channel to either 1 or 11 helps.  If your Linksys router is a B/G router and you only have G/N devices set the mode to G only.

Another thing you may want to take a look at is to make sure all the antenna leads are securely connected to the WLAN card. Remove your battery and A/C power before opening up the wireless compartment.

The link to the service manual is below:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02948186.pdf

Hopefully that will help since you already have the latest drivers installed.

...and sorry, but I can't resist...Go Rangers!  :smileyhappy:

Paul

Honor Student
Bruins44
Message 3 of 14 (11,892 Views)

Thanks Paul, tried all you suggested.  There is one antenna lead and it appears to be soldered to the adapter.  Connection only reading 18mbps right now.  Any other ideas?  My Viao speed is 130mbps and constant.

I won't hold the Rangers against you.  :smileywink:

Jeff

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 14 (11,887 Views)

Hi:

Something doesn't sound right about the antenna. There should be two leads, and they just snap on to the card.

See the manual, Chapter 4, page 44.

I don't have any other ideas you can try. If it isn't a problem with the antenna, I would see if you can exchange it for another one.

Paul

Honor Student
Bruins44
Message 5 of 14 (11,884 Views)

I agree.  Will contact HP directly.  Thanks for your help.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 6 of 14 (11,878 Views)

You're very welcome.

Student
vrcm1950
Message 7 of 14 (11,785 Views)

I am running into same issue.  Were you able to solve the issue? I bought the laptop 3 days back.

-Murthy

Honor Student
Bruins44
Message 8 of 14 (11,774 Views)

I was not able to resolve.  HP tech support had me try different settings in Windows 7 and restore the system to original factory delivery and that did not help.  They kept telling me it was my router that was causing the issue.  I kept telling them that I tried different settings on the router and upgraded the firmware but still had the same issue.  Tech support was supposed to call me back in 15 minutes when I did the system restore, but they never called back.

I was not happy with tech support passing the issue off on the router because I have a Sony Vaio, 2 Apple Macbooks, 1 Lenovo Thinkpad, a Playstation 3, Xbox 360, 2 iPhones, Apple Airport Express, HP wireless printer, and a Grace internet radio that connect to the network with ZERO issues.

My opinion is a defective wireless adapter or driver for RaLink.

I returned the laptop for a refund and will not purchase another PC from HP.

Good luck.

Student
Shelldrake_451
Message 9 of 14 (11,690 Views)

I too just bought a CQ43-309AU and it too contains a Ralink RT5390 wireless card.

To say that this device performs poorly is nice.

It cant maintain a connection, drops out every 15-20 minutes.

Signal wavers beteen 5 and 1 bars.

Now here is the worst bit, wireless throughput is about 1-2MB.  I've tested with 4 different wireless routers across two different brands and have even been in the same room as the router and its made no difference.

Lots of people with Windows, Linux are also having this same problem.  Even with the latest drivers.

I've been involved with networking for the last 8-9 years and I've never heard of Ralink before.  I think HP has scraped the bottom of the barrel with this device.  Sure the notebook only cost $400 but it should be able to connect to and maintain a decent wireless signal even at 2.4G

Its going back to the store tomorrow for a refund.  This is the second HP computer that I've bought and both have had provlems.  Its the last HP I'll buy as well.

Honor Student
dsuk
Message 10 of 14 (11,412 Views)

I have just bought (today) a CQ57-371SA with the same RT5390 network card and have exactly the same problem, The performance is shocking and the signal ranges from 5 bars to 0 bars in the same room as the router, I spoke with the vendors tech support who said it was down to different power levels and incompatibility of the network card and routers. The problem is, this is my son's laptop and I know he needs to use it in a number of locations and need it to work!

So, I got out my screwdriver (let's not talk about warranties please) and noticed that HP only provide and attach an aerial lead to 1 of the 2 network connectors in this laptop! Does anyone know what the difference is between the 2 connectors?

With the aerial in the shipped position I get very poor performance. If I swap the single aerial lead over to the 2nd connection I have had up to 150Mbps throughput but more regularly 54Mbps. It's not going to break any speed records but it seems far more stable in the 2nd, non-factory-connected position.

The website for the vendor of the card (RALINK) seems to be constantly down so I can't even contact them directly.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation