Question

Student
PaulG2053
Message 1 of 2 (1,270 Views)

How can a DV9010US (EZ453UA) Upgrade to Wireless N?

I love my sleek powerful DV9010US 17" full-size notebook PC.  I want to upgrade it to wireless N now that router prices are no longer a meaningful part of whether to upgrade.

BUT, I'm finding that it takes more than a replacement minicard to enable wireless N capability.  I checked partsurfer and it lists no alternative to the original Broadcom 802.11 b/g minicard.  AND, online retailers often specify that their generic parts will not work on HP products no matter how physically compatible the parts appear to be. 

I have a newer motherboard thanks to HP replacing the old one as part of the left hinge failure issue.  (it works better than ever) Does anyone know if the newer board/bios comes with the old hardware restrictions?

Student
D0M1N8R
Message 2 of 2 (177 Views)

Re: How can a DV9010US (EZ453UA) Upgrade to Wireless N?

This is certainly a old post but for anyone interested...

Maybe your cost consious and want to make the most of the  laptop. what ever the reason I did manage to get wireless N setup on my dv9010us with standard minicard replacement. The experience online is unchaned but thats to be expected when your ISP gives you up to 30Mb/s and even with wireless G its always maintained about 36Mb/s or slightly higher. The wireless N gets about 50-60Mb/s status and I have not benchmarked file transfers accross the network yet. In short though Wireless N is nice for compatibility reasons with moden networks but do not expect huge gains if all your doing is surfing unless you have a killer 100Mb/s ISP plan.

Another thing that did increase performance is upping the memory to 4GB and running a 64bit version of windows. Runs Windows Vista/7 64bit stable.

last update I did was installing a TL-66 2.3Ghz turion processor up from the old TL-56 1.8Ghz. How ever even after a re-install it does not seem stable. They are both very close in thermal ratings and wattage and it runs stable under full load but seems to lock up when left idling for long periods of time. Not sure whats up with that and searching for resolution now. May need to install a 3rd party bios which is what I will be doing today to see if that corrects this issue. beyond that I think I've hit the limits of this laptop and a upgrade is in order soon.

If you are not technical how ever I've also tested some wireless adapters and so far had very good luck with Alfa wireless N adapter. Typically connect at around 130Mb/s or better and simply plugs into the USB. but hate carrying it around. Its like 10X bigger then those flash drive sized adapters but I havent had much luck with them smaller ones and achieving a stable fast connection.

Now if OEM will just build me a nice AMD based laptop with a nice high res screen (1080P). Seems like the high res screens are reserved for intel only although AMD is well capable of running cooler/faster/longer. Hate monopolies.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation