Question

Tutor
junebug12345
Message 1 of 6 (23,771 Views)
Accepted Solution

Internal Network Adapter disabled

I have a Compaq Presario F700 model notebook PC  with a Windows Vista operating system. It is out of warranty. I do not know what happened but last week but I began having problems with the wireless connection.  I was unable to connect wirelessly and the Broadcom Wireless Lan driver was not being detected. The wireless light switch remained an amber color no matter whether I turned it on or off. When I checked under the Device Manager, the driver was missing although it had been properly installed.

I read everything I could find on the internet regarding this issue and also had numerous conversations with different HP Technical Support reps. I stayed up 2 days straight trying to figure a solution but nothing worked. The last technician I spoke with told me to either pay for a new card (costing about $286.00) or do a complete restore to its original factory state. Instead I went out and bought a Belkin wireless G Plus MIMO USB network adapter so I would have some wireless function. 

Well my problem now seems to have been solved this evening. First, I uninstalled and reinstalled an earlier version of the Broadcom Wireless Lan driver for Microsoft Windows (Version 6.00 E - dated October 2007 - sp36684.exe off the HP web page). I restarted my notebook PC and during the bootup pressed the F10 button. This brought up the system configuration menu. I changed the internal network adapter from disabled to enabled and then F9 to save the configuraton. I exited and and then restarted.

I just about fell off my chair when my notebook booted up and the Broadcom driver was detected. The wireless light had turned blue and I was able to connect wireless to my home network. Now the real test will come when I turn off my PC and see if everything has taken.

Mary

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 6 (23,662 Views)

Re: Internal Network Adapter disabled

Great Job!

Be sure and make a recovery point in Windows, so you can go back to that point if the problem happens again.

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****
You can say thanks by clicking on the Kudos thumbs up icon

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Tutor
junebug12345
Message 3 of 6 (23,633 Views)

My PC appears to be functioning all right for the time being. If the same problem comes up again I will repeat the same process.

Mary

Tutor
Lindatcat
Message 4 of 6 (22,678 Views)

I have the same problem.  I spent hours with an online tech.  I downloaded a new driver.  I updated the BIOS.  I did a system recovery.  Still no wireless.  I downloaded an the driver listed above and still no luck.  Apparently, this is a well known problem and several models of HP/Compaq notebooks come down with it.  I am out of warrantly by 2 months and now my notebook is pretty much useless.  If anyone has any ideas, other than get a new notebook (which is not a compaq or HP) let me know.  Thanks.
Top Student
lost-n-space
Message 5 of 6 (22,531 Views)

Kudos!!!!!!!!!!  My Compaq F557US model has not recognized the Broadcom wireless hardware for 8 months now... I've been forced to use a land line connection to get on the internet ever sence.  I've been on the phone with HP to no avail... removed my card and reinstalled in hopes that the plug-n-play would recognize the hardware...reinstalled the latest driver... updated bios... reinstalled factory settings... etc... nothing has ever worked...

That was until I read your comments... I took your advice to heart... 

First, I have VISTA... I went to: control panel, progams & feature, and uninstalled the Broadcom wireless driver.  I never rebooted at this point... I went to www.hp.com and inputted into the "search" box the driver name you spoke of...  sp36684.exe... Strange, but it shows only Windows XP as required...  As I said, I have VISTA...  but you can't break something broken...  So, I downloaded and installed the software as it recommended...  I logged off and rebooted as per normal.  I didn't go into F10 and change anything, I just simply rebooted per normal... Once fully up and going... I said a prayer and flipped my switch on... SHAZAM... blue light...  I'm emailing you ON WIRELESS now to thank you for your feedback...  God bless!

Honor Student
ChristinaM
Message 6 of 6 (15,420 Views)

Wow! Thanx Mary this solved my problem too! The only difference was I had to press F10 to save my changes and exit. Hope this works for others!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation