Internal wireless adapter (163 Views)
Student
darkbreeze
Message 1 of 2 (163 Views)

Internal wireless adapter

Just wondering, if anybody happens to know if there is an internal wireless N card that will work as an upgrade for the current G card that's installed. I know it's an older laptop but I use it in my shop for repair information and I need to access the database in my office with it. I get lousy transfer speeds if I set the router to allow G connectons but if I use a USB N adapter speeds are good. It doesn't work well with an external adapter when you're using the laptop to do diagnostic work and such and constantly laying the laptop at odd angles etc. so I'd like to upgrade the internal adapter if possible. I'm assuming it's a mini PCI that's replaceable but I've been unable to find the information via Google or HP's website. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Compaq F763NR

Windows 7

All men fall. Not all men stay down.
Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 2 of 2 (134 Views)

Re: Internal wireless adapter

I understand that you are looking for a Wireless N miniPCIe wifi card.

Reviewing the list of cards on page 45 of this guide, it doesn't look like any wireless N cards were tested for this particular unit.  More than likely, the wireless N standard was made after this notebook was made as I did see a Wireless A card on the list.  If miniPCIe card is not on this list, then it most likely will not work in the systems. 

However, some have had success using cards not in the list.  I would check the return policy before purchasing a miniPCIe card.  

It sounds like something like this adapter suits your needs better.  Since I cannot guarantee that a wireless n miniPCIe card will work, this would work and it comes with a mount to have it on the back of the LCD display.  This should allow it to be more flexible in positioning of the notebook without risking the adapter itself.  

Let me know if this answers your question.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation