Question
Internet Connection slow on HP Envy 14 Spectre
Replies (15)

Regents Professor
UniProg
Message 11 of 16 (813 Views)

Re: Internet Connection slow on HP Envy 14 Spectre

The second document deals with a slow computer after connecting to internet.  I wonder if you are dealing with with a firewall issue or antivirus blocking your connection?

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Honor Student
Pro-Rabbit
Message 12 of 16 (678 Views)

Re: Internet Connection slow on HP Envy 14 Spectre windows 8

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I'm experiencing the same problem, I order the the HP Spectre 14 with intel i7 and 256 (2x128) SSD, alot of times when I spend browsing the internet just read online and maybe a youtube video from time to time it takes time to load.

When I connect via an ethernet cable it all seems fine, also the rest of my laptops at home which also use wifi are much faster than the Spectre.

I've restored, restarted, complete shutdowns from time-to-time, emtied history files, temp internet files, disk cleanups and  deleted old system files from the disk cleanup section and still nothing, I'm also not using any third party ani-viruses, just the Microsoft security essentials that comes built-in with windows 8.

The first document HP Expert sent here on the form was empty to me, any resolutions?

Thanks in advanced.

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 13 of 16 (665 Views)

@Pro-Rabbit,

I understand your Internet connection is slow on your new HP Spectre notebook.  

This may not sound logical, but ensure the router has the newest firmware installed.  Firmware issues can cause problems on one system and not others as this can be dependent on the combination of the OS and hardware in the client experiencing the issue.  In general, updating the router's firmware is a good first step when experiencing any Internet or networking issue.

What brand and model is the router?  What is the current firmware version?

What is the product number?

NOTE: Do NOT provide the serial number.  

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Honor Student
Pro-Rabbit
Message 14 of 16 (660 Views)

Thanks for that Cloud_Strider,

I use BT which is a UK broadband supplier and as far as my knowledge goes there is no firmware for the router as its a standard BT router.

My product number is B8X17AV

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 15 of 16 (646 Views)

I still don't know that this isn't a firmware issue at this point as it does match a lot of the symptoms of a firmware issue with a newly introduced OS.  In my area, ISPs aren't known to get firmware updates out the quickest.  It took my ISP a year to push a firmware update out to fix a wifi issue I was experiencing (the issue was present only on my new Windows 7 unit).  Fortunately, I had a Linksys router on standby that I was able to use to get around it.

I didn't see a wifi driver that was fairly recent, but do ensure it has the newest driver from HP.

I do see there may be a new BIOS for your system, but it doesn't mention any wifi issues.  You could ensure it is installed, but I generally recommend applying a BIOS update only if needed.

I also recommend checking the antenna cables connected to the WIFI (some have noted reversing them has helped, though they should be correct from the shipping facility).  Page 53 of this guide details how to get to the wifi card.  However, it looks like it may be an involved process for this unit (most units have an access panel for the wifi card).  I cannot guarantee this will help, though it may, so review the steps and determine if that is something you want to do. 

Signature
Honor Student
GoMarcel
Message 16 of 16 (445 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have a similar problem on my Envy 14-1020ed, all computers have an exellent download speed via WiFi, and this envy only achieves 20mbit even next to the router.

Productnummer: WN964EA#ABH

EDIT: Solved by removing drivers en reinstalling them!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation