Question

Honor Student
RustyWater6
Message 1 of 3 (4,425 Views)

Internet (WiFi) randomly disconnects (detailed information)

~Computer Specs~

Type: Hp Pavilion dv6-3210us NoteBook

Processor: AMD Phenom II N660 Dual-Core Processor, 3.0Ghz

Ram: 4.0GB of ddr3 RAM

Video Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250, 320mb of VRAM

Wireless Adapter: Atheros AR9285 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter, Driver Version 9.2.0.444

OK! Now that all that is out of the way, I can get to the actual problem.

Ok, I'm gonna tell the whole story from start to finish, so feel free to get some snacks before reading :3

Well,

a few days ago I was playing an increasingly popular indie game called, 'Minecraft'. Maybe you've heard of it? You know, only 5 million (and counting) copies sold. You know, no big deal. Ok, in all seriousness and sarcasm aside, I happened to make a very silly and bad decision which got me very mad. Very, mad. So I did a little "take-a-breather" walk around my house. It didn't help me forget what happened only several minutes prior, so I did something I know regret and will make most geeks cringe in disgust: I did a sort of 'ape' pound on my laptop's keyboard. I instantly realized what I had done and snapped out of my rage. Ashamed at my behavior, I took a break from my computer. A few hours later, a friend asked me to play another game with him (Team Fortress 2). I had played it before and it never strained my computer too harshly. I mean it wasn't easy for it, but it wasn't a major problem. Anyways I booted up the game and about 15 minutes later, my laptop just shut off. Completely, just turned off. I rebooted it and it was fine. So I tried the game again and about 15 minutes later, boom! It turned off again. Annoyed, I looked up some possible solutions to my crashing issue. One article I read concerned me; it said that a dropped (closest thing i could come to my 'ape' rage) laptop that turns off randomly could have a cracked motherboard. I kind of over reacted an I completely dissasembled my laptop. (I'd consider myself a bit above the average tech savy American) I was then successfully able to reassemble my laptop and all booted up fine and dandy (yes, I just said 'dandy', deal with it). My laptop functioned perfectly normal for about a day, no crashing whatsoever. (I also had a USB fan that I didn't use untill after the crashes, so maybe it was just overheating? Who knows?) Then as I was watching a youtube video and downloading something, my internet just, shut off. I didn't think a lot of it, because our internet is annoying as it is. Normally just unplugging the router and modem fix it, but not this time. The only way I could fix it was to reboot my computer. My internet has crashed many times in the past day or two since it first crashed and I got fed up with it. So I started trying to diagnos on my own what was causing the internet to crash. I figured it was only on my computer because my ipod's were fine when my computer's internet crashed. I also noticed a pattern in which the crashes happen. 1) I am doing something normally internet intensive that my computer would be fine with (such as having several internet tabs open, running a minecraft server, watching youtube and downloading something, etc). 2) My computer gets lag spikes, the mouse stops functioning properly, my cpu and RAM usage goes from normal to 100% for both. 3) finally my internet disconnects and everything goes back to normal. Well, except for my internet. It's all very strange and I have tried many things to fix it such as resetting my ipv4 and ipv6 addresses, turning off my ipv6, reseting my router, and I just updated my wireless adapter firmware. The firmware has yet to be tested, but I will test as soon as I am done posting this. So I don't know what to do. Get a new computer? Reset to factory defaults? I have no idea. If someone has the foggiest (yea, i just said 'foggiest'. pardon my british) idea on what I need to do to help my computer, I would be forever greatful :smileyhappy:

Thanks!

RustyWater6

Ok, if you just scrolled to the bottom, go back up and read so you know how to help me D:

Feel free to leave any further questions you have about me or my machine below. I will answer as soon as possible. Thanks again for whoever attempts to help me!

Honor Student
RustyWater6
Message 2 of 3 (4,416 Views)

Re: Internet (WiFi) randomly disconnects (detailed information)

EDIT: Updating the driver software didn't work :smileysad:

Honor Student
RustyWater6
Message 3 of 3 (4,393 Views)

Re: Internet (WiFi) randomly disconnects (detailed information)

EDIT: I downloaded dowloaded version 8.0.0.238 driver for my wireless adapter. Everything has been working fine ever since i installed it. haha, i solved my own problem! cool :smileyhappy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation