Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
After installing a windows update for my HP Pavilion g6 laptop which is currently using windows 8.1 to finish the update the laptop has to restart which began the problem. The laptop failed to restart and won't start up, it just goes on a screen with the HP sign and try's to load up with no success. Having turned it of and back on again a number of times I finally got the laptop on the desktop which then I came to the conclusion that the update has messed up my laptop so I try to restore my computer by going back a couple of weeks. This won't work either because the laptop can't restart. So I'm a bit stuck on ideas, the only one I can this of is wipe everything out and start again with a recovery disc. If anyone knows the problem or has any input please don't hesitate to answer back
8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi SamV94,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome. I have read your thread on your HP Pavilion g6 Notebook and not starting after an update. Try performing a hard reset. When performing a hard reset please note remove any and all USB devices, and remove memory cards from the card reader slot. Disconnect all non-essential devices. If that does not help try to turn on the computer you start to press F11 repeatedly till the menu opens. You can do a system restore. This will undo the update that has not gone well.

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended
Hey, you can follow the steps below to fix your Windows boot problem:

Step 1: Insert a blank CD into your computer. Download and launch Tenorshare Windows Boot Genius on another workable computer and click "Burn". Only one click of mouse, you can finish burning a boot CD.

Step 2: This step is operated on the computer that won't boot up. Insert CD onto your computer. And set BIOS to boot your computer from CD, instead of hard drive. It will reboot automatically and access to the CD.

Step 3: Then you will load to system. Launch this program under Win PE. Select "Windows Rescue" to follow the built-in wizard to finish fixing booting problems. 
HP Recommended

I have the same issue and I have already restore to a previous point in my computer, however that is not what I want want since I want to upgrade to Windows 10 when available.

HP Recommended

I have the same issue and I have already restore to a previous point in my computer, however that is not what I want want since I want to upgrade to Windows 10 when available. So how can we fix it without restoring the system to a previous point?

HP Recommended

I had the same problem this morning after updating.  Fortunately, in my case, I powered off, removed the USB drive, and powered back on with sucess.  (This is the first time I've experienced this problem, and I've performed many updates in the past.  Either there is something quirky about this most recent update, or maybe it's just a good idea to remove peripherals before updating.)

HP Recommended

I didn't have any peripherals connected so that wouldn't be the issue in my case.

HP Recommended

Ever time I try to restart my computer it says I need a recovery disc so where do I get one

HP Recommended

I am currently experiencing this same issue myself. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.