Question

Student
mharmon5
Message 1 of 4 (2,919 Views)

Lost wireless on my Pavilion dv9225us laptop.

[ Edited ]
Like some of the others, I to have lost my wireless after updating with Microsoft. I've done everything I can possibly think of to remedy the situation. I uninstalled the wireless card, checked it out and re-installed it. I uninstalled and re-installed both Broadcom and Wireless Assistant drivers. I even restarted the laptop in safe mode, removed all the pci to pci bridge files, restarted the laptop and allowed them to re-install themselves at startup. At one point the light turned blue for a day or so, but went out again and I haven't been able to revive it since. Fortunately I got the 3yr extended warranty offered through the store, but I'd like to get this thing going before I have to turn it in and lose it for 2 weeks or so. If I've missed anything, please let me know. I'm fairly computer savy so I'm pretty sure I can handle it. Thanks in advance for your assistance...
Message Edited by mharmon5 on 03-22-2009 08:54 AM
Teacher
CyberVisions
Message 2 of 4 (2,834 Views)

Re: Lost wireless on my Pavilion dv9225us laptop.

Go through the online troubleshooting procedure for notebook Wireless Problems: PC No Longer Connects to Wireless Network

You also stated that at one point the WLAN LED came on for a period but then went out. Is it off or is it orange? No LED at all indicates another problem if your other LED's are still on. The Wireless LED should either be blue or orange (on or off) - it should only be completely dark if your system is in Theater Mode. If it's orange, then it's off for some reason and you need to determine why - no amount of trying to connect will work if it is.

Check your adapter to make sure it's in fact working - go to your Network and Sharing Center, then click on Intel PROSet Wireless Tools (lower left column). Run the Diagnostics to ensure the adapter is working properly.

In the same window, click on the HP Wireless Assistant link, and check the Wireless LAN status. If it's Off (never assume it's status) then change it to On. Keep in mind that an MS update changes your configuration status - there are also Power Management settings that enable the system to turn off the WLAN to save power.

To check your Wireless Power Setting status:

1. Click on the Power Management icon in your System Tray (battery icon).

2. Click on More Power Options

3. Click on the current Power Plan "Change Plan Settings".

4. In the Plan Settings window, click on Change Advanced Power Settings

5. Open up the settings for Wireless Adapter, then check to see if either are in Power Saving mode. If they are,

change it to Maximum Performance.

Also, open the Properties window of your adapter, then click on the Power Management tab. If the box for

"Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is checked, uncheck it to ensure there's nothing inadvertently shutting it off.

One thing you haven't stated you've done is to remove the existing Wireless and Network Connections in your Network and Sharing Window, and then setup new ones. It's not uncommon for network profiles to become corrupted, but users don't tend to think about that - they tend to think hardware (rarely the problem), software (more often, but still rare), drivers (only if you're using drivers obtained from a source other than your system manufacturer's site, which has certified drivers for your system), rather than more obvious causes.

If you're setup for automatic updates from Microsoft, turn that off - never let your system update something from anywhere that thinks it knows better than you do what's best for your system. Always be aware of what is being installed on your system, both to ensure it's valid to begin with, and also if there's a problem so you'll know where a good place to start is.

Go through your update logs and try to find which MS update it was that was installed prior to the loss, then remove it to see if that has any effect.

Uninstall and then reinstall your network profiles for your wireless connections, and then see if they'll connect to an available network. If not, then you need to check your System Event logs to see if there's an indication of where the problem is.

To view your Event Logs: Click on Start, then type in event - the Event Viewer link should appear at the top. Click on it to open the Event Viewer logs.

Note: If you remember the date/time it went down after being on it'll help you narrow down a place to look for in the logs.

First, in Custom Views, check your Network Diagnostics Events. After that, open up the Application and Services logs and check the hardware event logs.

You can also filter the logs to speed the search a bit - on the right side column, click on "Filter Current Log" and set the parameters you want to narrow down any possibilities.

Even though the Windows Event logs probably won't yield much, it's always worth checking.

Hope some of this will yield a clue. In the end though, sometimes it's easier just to get an external adapter and bypass any problems until such time as you can figure it out. If you send it in, be sure you backup all of your document files because a complete restoration is usually what they'll do.

Primarily of the Ancient School -Training by HP, NASA, & the U.S. Submarine Force

HP Pavilion HDX 9300 64-bit Dragon, Core 2 Extreme X9000 2.8ghz | 8gb DDR2 RAM | 512MB 8800M GTS
Vista Ult. 64 | Linksys Dual-Band N Network | DriveSavers Agent | Wiki Answers Supervisor

"Professional Techs don't ask for Kudos or Points"

Honor Student
seef
Message 3 of 4 (2,182 Views)

[ Edited ]

I'm affraid it's your motherboard. You will not be able to get wireless back without a replacement. It's good you have the extended warranty. Mine failed twice. First time it was under warranty and hp replaced the motherboard with another with the same problem. Of course it failed again this time one month out of the extended warranty and they wouldn't fix it unless I gave them $400. It is a well known problem- just google it and you will see. Sorry.

here is a link to check out: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=Internet&thread.id=129

Message Edited by seef on 07-08-2009 06:10 PM
Student
barnesjgreg
Message 4 of 4 (1,563 Views)

Maybe you can help me, I upgraded to Windows 7 32 bit using my wireless connection. That was the last time i used wireless now I connect through the LAN cable. Computer is dv6000 and wireless router is ZyXel P660 HW. My phone can see the connection and all my neighbors can see it, I can see their connections and connect to them and use the work wireless thank goodness. I have checked drivers and windows says they are up to date and compatible. It is not that inconvenient but pointless buying a $60 wireless router that only the neighbors can use, kinda weird though.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation