Question

Honor Student
Shavar
Message 1 of 37 (17,035 Views)

MY new laptop envy M6 is getting disconnected off wifi ...HELP?

my new hp envy laptop (model: M6-1125DX) has some wifi issues..everytime i am conected to my college wifi ,,like 5 mins after it keeps disconnecting by itself and its frustting and annoying...the wifi adapter in the laptop is Ralink 802.11 Wireless LAN Adapter and i need the wifi to have a stable connection...please help??

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 2 of 37 (16,998 Views)

MY new laptop envy M6 is getting disconnected off wifi ...HELP?

What is your signal strength? It sounds like it is losing its connection due to that.
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Tutor
3moose
Message 3 of 37 (16,995 Views)

Re: MY new laptop envy M6 is getting disconnected off wifi ...HELP?

I have the same problem and the signal strength is excellent. No problems with other systems not running Windows 8.
Honor Student
Shavar
Message 4 of 37 (16,991 Views)

the signal strenght is 3-4 bars  and its a 802.1x network configuration....it just keeps disconnecting 

Honor Student
Shavar
Message 5 of 37 (16,989 Views)

ill have to buy a wireless usb adapter and troubleshoot to see  if its the Ralink adapter in the hp thats incompatible with the 802.1x network configuration at my college. other brands such as sony, dell, toshiba connects fine but people with hp models seem to be having a wifi connectivity issue with the 802.1x network

Tutor
3moose
Message 6 of 37 (16,981 Views)

My problem was solved by getting updated drivers for the wireless adapter.

Honor Student
CKilinski
Message 7 of 37 (16,974 Views)

I am a network administrator for a university and I have seen this problem occur on almost every laptop with a Ralink wireless adapter, commonly in HP laptops. It does not seem to matter what brand laptop it is, as long as it has a Ralink (or sometimes Realtek) adapter. Driver updates do not seem to help the issue whatsoever.

We use Juniper a/b/g/n lightweight access points everywhere, and signal strength/density is not a problem. No other chipset has issues of this sort with our network.

Since HP is such a popular brand with students, we come across this problem extremely frequently and it is a major problem for accessing the Internet, especially in classrooms where Ethernet is not available.

If anyone has a solution or usable workaround, please let me know.

Thank you

Christian K.

Tutor
PeCan12
Message 8 of 37 (16,669 Views)

I had the very same problem with my brand new Envy M6. First the network connection was "spotty" - i.e. connecting, then reconnecting even though the amount of bars was always the same and while other nearby devices continued to work.

I was having trouble visiting various sites. They'd start to load then stop - always at exactly the same point (and this was in after I deleted temp files, cookies, cache etc.)

I had problems loading Google toolbar - I'd get to the site, begin the download process, then the installation would fail, again, always at the same point.

I turned on and off firewalls, I tried enabling/disabling wireless connections, updating drivers, bios, even a system restore to the point to before I had installed anything. Nothing worked. HP diagnostics couldn't give me any meaningful info to go on either.

Then the wifi stopped connecting completely - plenty of bars but no connection. At this point I was about to give up and return the laptop, however after reading elsewhere (can't remember exactly) about someone having similar problems, I decided to completely uninstall (via the control panel) the pre-installed Norton Anti Virus.

I did so, restarted the laptop and it worked (!!). I'm now using Windows Defender and Windows Firewall and have had no problems since.

This appears to have been some type of problem with Norton intentionally blocking more connections than it should, however it's worth noting that I never got any warnings whatsoever from Norton. - Perhaps Norton doesn't get along with Windows Defender? Anyway, removing it (completly), worked for me.

Hope this helps someone...

Student
ZachLP
Message 9 of 37 (14,444 Views)

dont know if this is still an active issue for this post but.. i think it may have something to do with the anti virus on your computer. i had the same issue but changed my proxy settings in my anti virus.. if your using nortons try this link it may help you out.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/norton-core/current/solutions/v15707976_N360_N360RET_2013_en_us?...

hope this fixes your issues..

Student
sPait3
Message 10 of 37 (11,984 Views)

I have looked everywhere for a solution to this problem and I can't find one that works for me. I have configured and reset my IP address, I am right above my router and have 5 bars, I have updated all my drivers and I even got rid of my Norton Anti-virus software. Does anyone have any more possible solutions I can try because I'm getting desperate. I had this problem when I first got my Envy m6 but it disappeared after a couple of months but now the problem has returned and is worse than before. I try to make Skype calls or watch Netflix and I lose connection, having to troubleshoot just to reset my wireless adapter. Can someone please help me?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation