Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi everyone,

I've picked up a HP ENVY TS 14-k028TX Sleekbook. I am currently facing wifi connection issues at my workplace. Connection drops and reconnects every 10-15mins. I've got no issues when I connect to a smartphone hotspot or my wifi access point at home.

Should I suspect there is incompatibility between the Mediatek MT7630E 802.11bgn Wi-Fi Adapter on my laptop with my workplace wireless router (Asus RT-N16)?

I also tried to disabled “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power” in my wifi adapter. But this didn't work for me. I've read this can help solve wifi connection issues on other laptops running Windows 8.

I'd appreciate any feedback.

53 REPLIES 53
HP Recommended
It sounds like the workplace router is a consumer model router. Have you checked for a firmware update? If it is a compatibility issue, a firmware update in the router typically helps.
Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

I googled around and changed my router security settings.

The current windows 8 drivers with this wifi adapter doesn't play well with WPA2 with AES encryption. I changed the encryption to TKIP and i am able to connect to the internet without any issues and no connection drop.

Support for this mediatek wifi adapter is horrible. http://www.mediatek.com/_en/07_downloads/01_windows.php

The drivers listed in the manufacturers website is old and doesn't even list drivers for Mediatek MT7630E that comes with this laptop.

The link for HP's own support for drivers and downloads is down for HP ENVY TouchSmart 14-k028tx

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=5399228&lc=en

I am able to get my laptop to work with my home connection, but at work, I've got no authority to change the network security settings and I am stuck with internet connection drops. No thanks to the horrible support for this wifi adapter.

HP Recommended

I finally solved my connection problem. It involves spending some $$$ on getting a new device.

Here's what i did...

I added a TP-Link Range Extender. First this helps boost wifi signal in the office.

Secondly it is able to connect to the main router using WPA-2 AES. When the range extender broadcasts the main wireless router's SSID, it is able to offer WPA-PSK and WPA2-PSK in either AES/TKIP. The range extender doesn't need to broadcast the exact security settings as the main wireless router.

With that, my HP ENVY TouchSmart 14-k028TX and Mediatek MT7630E 802.11bgn Wi-Fi Adapter running Windows 8 is now able to connect to the internet without any slow downs or connection drops.

But I still want to know if this is a hardware  or driver issue from Mediatek. Perhaps if the laptop was running Windows 7, it wont have any issues. I hope a future driver update will fix this connection issue.

I have also come across a few forums on the internet that some laptops running Windows 8 have wifi issues connecting to access points that uses AES security encryption and solving the problem by connecting using TKIP.

I've been using the MacbookPro since 2009 for my personal use and never had any problems. Switching to this new Windows 8 laptop for work is an absolute nightmare. I have had better experience using Windows 7.

HP Recommended

I had been contacted by the HP support team and had been informed that there has been several reports of this laptop model facing wifi issues. The specific issue in question is how the internet connection is not stable depending on the wifi security encryption used to connect to a wifi AP.

At the moment with WPA-TKIP / WPA2-TKIP, i have no connection drops. Loading websites and social media pages are ok but buffering youtube is horrible. My iPad mini can stream the HD 720P videos without any buffer or slow downs. Playing youtube videos on this laptop constantly chokes up. 

Apparently they have started investigating this issue and will provide me with updates once they have found the root cause of the problem and come up with a solution.

HP Recommended

Here's an update from HP.

Greetings!

This mail is in reference with the issue that you logged with us for your HP Notebook PC.

Please update the following drivers once and let us know your observations :

BIOS update :

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp62501-63000/sp62888.exe
After installing the driver, restart the laptop to complete the installation of the driver.

Please make sure to keep the AC Adapter connected while updating the BIOS.

Based on the serial number I understand the unit has a Ralink WLAN module. Hence please update the driver from the below links as well.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp61501-62000/sp61776.exe
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp61501-62000/sp61795.exe

I have updated my BIOS and wireless network adapter drivers as per instruction. There is some improvement in terms of wireless connection stability with WPA2-AES wifi security. However, occasionally i do get random connection drops, but not as frequent. Minimum twice per computer login. 

HP Recommended

Hello, i have the same problem as described here with my ProBook 430 notebook with WIN8 x64 Pro. I have installed latest bios and driver updates from HP, and still experience heavy connection problems when using WPA2 with AES encryption. All of them are gone, when i set TKIP encription on my router. I tried different router model, with the same result.

HP Recommended

Also, the router models i have tried, are TL-WR741ND and  TL-WDR4900, my ProBook's wifi adapter is MT7630E.

HP Recommended

Guys, those of you with wifi issues specifically relating to connecting to routers using WPA2-AES encryption, please get your WIFI card replaced. Mediatek's driver doesn't seem to play nice with this specific wifi module and Windows 8 64bit.

Since my laptop is under warranty and after several email exchanges with HP Support. I finally got my wifi card (Mediatek MT7630E) replaced with  Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230 in my laptop. This piece of hardware supports wifi + bluetooth. 

My laptop now doesn't have issues with connecting using WPA2-AES. Both wifi and bluetooth using Intel drivers.

At the moment there isn't a software fix (drivers) for this issue. It can only be solved by replacing the wifi module in the laptop.

HP Recommended
so hp changes me my wifi card with warranty for free???
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.