Question

Student
cthyman
Message 1 of 1 (1,033 Views)

My HP Pavilion dv6000 CTO Notebook PC won't connect to the internet

[ Edited ]

HP Pavilion dv6000 CTO Notebook PC:

I got an HP laptop dv6000 series June 2007. Seven months later it started giving me problems. When powered on I started getting a no harddrive detected error. It was happening for about three months, but I would normally work around it by turning the notebook off & on repeatedly until it loaded windows. I was deployed at the time and didn't have access to a store so I ordered a new harddrive online because I thought that was the problem and would fix it. When I got it I installed XP on it instead of Vista because there wasn't a service pack for Vista yet and I thought that may be a problem too. Maybe the OS was so new it still had bugs. I am military and work in IT. So I kept thinking I could fix it. It worked again for another six months until it started having reboot issues again. That was 2008. At that point it at least still had LAN conectivity although no wireless. I threw it in storage for awhile because I was travelling back to the US to visit family and relocate and it didn't make sense to travel with a broken machine. I was pregnant at the time and very distracted so I didn't actually unpack it and get back to the notebook a while. Maybe a few months after I had the baby in July 2009 I took another crack at it. Tried reinstalling Vista and downloading all drivers. But it wouldn't access the internet. I thought maybe it was the wrong drivers. So I checked and realized I was missing a few. But without a machine to access the internet from I couldn't continue to download drivers and such and I just bought a new Toshiba this year, so I remembered the issue and downloaded the remainng missing drivers only to find out that there is no internet connectivity at all now. I started thinking that this is ridiculous and began "Googling" which is probably what I should've done from the beginning... I discovered in my research that the DV6000 series in particular seems prone to failure and HP offered an Extended Warranty service to some but not all consumers whose laptops showed symptoms such as losing wireless access, failure to boot up, blank screens etc... I guess it was a case by case basis? Anyway, I know I am way out of warranty by this time. But I don't wanna throw it away. I feel like I've wasted my money if I do. Looking for assistance. What's this about the motherboards being bad?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation