Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have the similar problem. My laptop sometimes wont turn on after sleep. This is happening randomly, not every time. I did hard reset but the symptom persists.

When I try to wake it up, it stays off with leds blinking (caps lock and number leds) and power button steady on. Then I must to shut it down, remove the battery and put it back again after 10 sec. Then it starts normaly, with a message on the screen that Windows was shutted down unexpectedly.

Model: HP G61

Serial: {Personal Information Removed}

Product: WA966UA#ABC

Thank you for your help.

HP Recommended

Hey Boxi, 

I'm sorry you're running into this issue resuming from sleep. The Windows Error Recovery message you see after powering back on is normal. It will come up every time the computer isn't properly shut down (ex. power button is held down or battery and power cord are removed while computer is on). 

Not resuming from sleep and the blinking lights you see are not normal. The Caps/Num Lock lights blinking are actually hardware failure indicators.

Here's a link to a website that explains more about blink codes and what they mean.

What type of blink pattern are you seeing? (ex 1-blink, 2-blinks, etc.)

HP Recommended

Hi Axshun,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Blinking is constant; there is no patern as I can see. No beeps. The fan is running.

Today the laptop was left with closed lid for 10 hours and it started normaly.

Shall I physiaclly check memory modules? I did all HP tests (HDD, memory, CPU, battery) and everything was okay.

HP Recommended

The continuous blink you see is probably a 1-blink pattern. This indicates processor failure. I recommend a hard reset which you are already almost doing.

Hard Rest:

1. Shut the computer down. 

2. Remove battery and power cord.

3. Hold the Power button for 10 seconds.

4. Plug the battery and power cord back in.

5. Turn the computer back on and use as normal to see if the issue persists.

Also I would recommend making sure your BIOS is up-to-date. Here is a link to the latest BIOS version. 

BIOS version F.15 -- download and install it. Your notebook will restart automatically in the middle of the installation. When the installation is done, again use your computer normally and see if the issue persists. If it does, you could also try the step you mentioned, reseating the memory modules.

Hope these steps help! Let me know the results 🙂

HP Recommended

Unfortunately the simptom persists. What migh be next step, if any?

HP Recommended

I would recommend backing up any personal files not already saved externally and reinstalling Windows (a recovery).

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05336119 (Link Updated 04/26/2017)

If the problem persists after a recovery, the 1-blink pattern indicates the processor may be failing. It may need to be replaced.

HP Recommended
Hi my HP pavilion d4 laptop will not turn on. It begins to start up and then immediately stops and all I get is a black screen. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!
HP Recommended
Dv4 laptop sorry
HP Recommended

Hey Sebhenry, 

Do you continue to hear the fan spinning and the lights on the keyboard/base remain on while the screen is black? until you hold the power button to turn it off? Or do the spinning stop and the lights go off by their selves after a short time?

In either case, look at the light next to where the power cord plugs into your notebook. That light should be on at all times when it is plugged in to the wall outlet and to the computer. If it does not remain on, it needs to be replaced. 

I would suggest trying a hard reset as the next quickest and less invasive step. This can sometimes fix strange issues because it drains all of the electricity out of the unit. Here are the steps for a Hard Reset.

Let me know the results when you get a chance, please Smiley Happy

HP Recommended
My hp pavilion g6 wont on, when plugged in the light turns on but nothing. ?..please help
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.