Question

Honor Student
DrTensai
Message 1 of 25 (34,815 Views)

My wireless button doesn't work

The Wifi key light remains amber (orange) no matter how many times i press it . It only turns on and off the bluetooth. I have installed the Drivers from HP's site. The wireless lan card is not visible in device maneger . It only shows the ethernet port and the bluetooth. even after choosing the show hidden devices the wlan wasnt visible

I am checked the bios by pressing F10 at the bootup screen  and Wlan and Bluetooth Combo is ticked in built in hardwares. I installed Wireless Assistance software abd it showed Bluetooth to be enabled but Wifi to be disabled saying it had been disabled by device maneger .  and i cant find it in device maneger under any of the heading

So how em i suppose to fix it

is it a software related problem .. or a faulty Wlan Card ??:smileysad:

Whats the sollution

Compaq Presario CQ42

Top Student
dlturner00
Message 2 of 25 (34,789 Views)

Re: My wireless button doesn't work

I am having the exact same problem with an HP dv7-1135nr. I posted in another topic earlier but I didn't see this one before that. Mine will come back on a reboot sometimes but not always. I went to Administrative Tools, Services, WLAN autoconfig and turned it off, rebooted, still not working. Went back and turned WLAN autoconfig back on, reboooted, and it came back on. Really would like some help on this also.

Thanks

David

Grad Student
3baller
Message 3 of 25 (34,786 Views)

I would suggest turning on the HP Wireless Assistance. 

1) Open HP Wireless Assistant and select the "Properties" setting. This opens a "Settings" dialog box.

2) Select the "Independent Controls..." button, then "Apply"

3) This adds an "Action" field in HP Wireless Assistant for the wireless network card.

4) Select "Turn On" in the Action field.

HP Laptop Wireless Assist1

HP Laptop Wireless Assist2

HPDV2000Step3.jpg

I am an HP employee.
Please post rather than sending a Private Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly.- Thank you.
Please click the White Kudos star on the left to say thanks.
Please mark Accept As Solution if this resolves your issue.
Top Student
dlturner00
Message 4 of 25 (34,782 Views)

Thanks, I turned this function on. Mine is still on right now. I guess I'll find out if it goes off again. One other thing, sometimes when WLAN is off the Wireless Assistant won't even open. I think something is corrupted in the software but I have no idea where to even start with that.

Thanks

David

Top Student
dlturner00
Message 5 of 25 (34,761 Views)

Well, I turned on the independent controls in Wireless Assistant but that didn't help. When the WLAN turns off the button in WA is grayed out and still says Turn off. After playing with this problem for a while, I have noticed that if I restart it doesn't come back on but a cold reboot seems to turn it back on. I have also noticed that it seems to he turn off when it goes into low power mode, when the screen turns off. I am still looking for the setting that will stop turning off WLAN in low power mode, Anybody know where I would find that?

Top Student
dlturner00
Message 6 of 25 (34,735 Views)

Ok, well I guess I figured it out. I went to Control Panel, Mobile PC, Power Options, Edit Plan Settings, Change Advance Settings, Change Settings That Are Currently Unavailable. Go to Wireless Adapter, set it for Maximum Performance on Battery. Has been working ever since.

Honor Student
DrTensai
Message 7 of 25 (34,664 Views)

Sir where i can download Hp Wireless Assistant for my Compaq Presario CQ42-205AU Notebook PC:smileyembarrassed:

Top Student
shirleyb
Message 8 of 25 (29,206 Views)

Thank you for the suggestions on the discussion board. I tried both methods and neither worked. My wireless button seems to work, it's blue. My hotspot network connection pops up ok but whcone lick connect it tries to connect and the message is Windows was unable to connect to  webOS Network and the name of my hotspot.  Troubleshooting can't identify the problem. Recovery didn't solve the problem. What else can I do?

Honor Student
Ely_Freedom
Message 9 of 25 (25,614 Views)

My button doesn't seem to work all of a sudden, it's always on the amber colored light and I tired the F10 on the start menu, I tried multipule time to press the button, and on the HP wwireless assistence everything is marked with a check but nothing seems to work. My wifi router works but I can't use wifi anymore, I HAVE to connect the cable into my laptop. I don't know what to do anymore,  I need help, please and thank you.

Distinguished Professor
AxshunJaxun
Message 10 of 25 (25,463 Views)

Hey Ely_Freedom,

Have you checked to see if you have the latest wireless drivers and BIOS driver? I could provide you with a link to the proper wireless and BIOS driver for your particular notebook if I could get your exact product number.

Here are the steps to get your product number.

Here are the steps to find your BIOS driver version number. See Step 1: Find the current BIOS version.

Here are the steps to find your current wireless manufacturer name and driver version number: 

On Windows 8, Press Windows Key + Q to bring up the Search Bar > Type "device" > Click Settings under the Search Bar > Click Device Manager in the results on the left > Expand the Network adapters section > There will be 3 or 4 items listed under Network adapters - you're looking for the line that says "WiFi" > Copy and paste or take a screenshot of that line and put it in your reply.

On Windows 7, Click the Start Button > Type "device" in the Search Bar at the bottom >  > Click Device Manager > Expand the Network adapters section > There will be 3 or 4 items listed under Network adapters - you're looking for the line that says "WiFi" > Copy and paste or take a screenshot of that line and put it in your reply.

To find the version number, double-click on the "WiFi" line listed under Network Adapters. Then click on the driver tab and make note of the driver version number. 

I'm assuming other computers connect to that network with no problems? I would check all those driver versions first to make sure they are up-to-date. 

Please let me know if you have any questions. I know your post was about a month ago but I'll keep an eye out for your reply! :smileyhappy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation