Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

We have several ProBook 4530s laptops (less then 2 years old) in our company (Product # A7K05UT#ABA) that came with stock single band cards and will not recognize 5ghz band.  I have a 5yr old DV5 that has an Atheros card that recognizes both and a new Envy DV7 that I just put an Intel card in that works perfectly. 

When we put the Intel card in the Probooks - on bootup, the BIOS instantly flashes that it will not recognize the card with a 702 error.

I can NOT believe that HP would intentionally lock out the ability to upgrade their products.  The ProBooks are running the latest BIOS ugrade and have no dual band card drivers listed.

Does anyone know of a dual band 2x2 card with BlueTooth that will work?  Or is there any easy way to unlock this crippled BIOS?

If this upgrade issue can not be resolved - looks like we have to get a different supplier of laptops.

ANY and ALL info will be welcomed. 

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, unfortunately, there is a BIOS "whitelist" on that model which locks out unsupported cards.

HP seems to have discontinued this practice recently (maybe within the last year or so), as consumers have reported being able to install any model wireless card they please.

That doesn't help matters with the 4530s.

According to the service manual, chapter 3, the only dual band card with BT that will work is the Intel Centrino® Advanced-N 6230 -- HP part number 636672-001.  That is not an AC card.

Due to the restrictive nature of the BIOS, you must also get this card with the HP part number on it, or it will not work.

I checked the HP part store for availability, and HP no longer has the item for sale, so my recommendation would be to look on places like eBay and query by the part number and purchase a used but tested and working card.

Specs on the Intel 6230...

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/centrino/centrino-advanced-n-6230-brief.html

I would have no idea how to hack the BIOS to get any wireless card to work.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, unfortunately, there is a BIOS "whitelist" on that model which locks out unsupported cards.

HP seems to have discontinued this practice recently (maybe within the last year or so), as consumers have reported being able to install any model wireless card they please.

That doesn't help matters with the 4530s.

According to the service manual, chapter 3, the only dual band card with BT that will work is the Intel Centrino® Advanced-N 6230 -- HP part number 636672-001.  That is not an AC card.

Due to the restrictive nature of the BIOS, you must also get this card with the HP part number on it, or it will not work.

I checked the HP part store for availability, and HP no longer has the item for sale, so my recommendation would be to look on places like eBay and query by the part number and purchase a used but tested and working card.

Specs on the Intel 6230...

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/centrino/centrino-advanced-n-6230-brief.html

I would have no idea how to hack the BIOS to get any wireless card to work.

HP Recommended

Very dissappointing that after less than 3 years, HP has no desire to support its products (with a new non white list BIOS) and to listen to the end user.  This seems to be the direction of HP in the past couple of years.  Time to look for a new vendor.

Thanks.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.