Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have been away from home -- where I have HSI  and it works fine -- for a couple of months,  I have connected to awireless network sporadically (poor to sometimes fair signal), with lots of frustration.  A few days ago I travelled to a location where I could connect to a strong (secure)  wireless network, and enjoyed smooth browsing for about an hour.  Subsequently when I tried to connect to the weaker, unsecure network, I could not open my network and sharing center. Whether from the tray or from the Control Panel,  a screen opens showing nothing but the spinning circle.  TASK MANAGER IS REQUIRED IN ORDER TO CLOSE THE PAGE -- it will not respond to the close box. TM shows the Network and Sharing Center as "running" even though nothing shows on the screen except the title and the spinning circle.

My laptop is a Pavilion dv6t with Windows 7 (64bit)

All other Control Panel files seem to open and function normally.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello Hamanslayer Smiley Happy

Thank you for posting on the HP Forums!

I understand Network and Sharing Center will not open. I will do my best to assist you! Please launch and Network and Sharing Center and wait it for it to provide an error. Also, please try launching Network and Sharing Center in a different user account. If you do not have one, create one.

I have done some research on this issue. Unfortunately, the only reliable troubleshooting that is remaining, if the above does not help, is to reinstall the operating system. There are too many different issues that could be causing it. Reinstalling the operating system will address all of them.

First, please backup any files that you need. You can find accurate steps on how to do this in the following HP document: Backing Up Your Files (Windows 7)

Once this is done, you can safely reinstall the operating system. I will also provide a document on how to do this: Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 7)

Please let me know your results. Thanks again for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day! Smiley Happy

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello Hamanslayer Smiley Happy

Thank you for posting on the HP Forums!

I understand Network and Sharing Center will not open. I will do my best to assist you! Please launch and Network and Sharing Center and wait it for it to provide an error. Also, please try launching Network and Sharing Center in a different user account. If you do not have one, create one.

I have done some research on this issue. Unfortunately, the only reliable troubleshooting that is remaining, if the above does not help, is to reinstall the operating system. There are too many different issues that could be causing it. Reinstalling the operating system will address all of them.

First, please backup any files that you need. You can find accurate steps on how to do this in the following HP document: Backing Up Your Files (Windows 7)

Once this is done, you can safely reinstall the operating system. I will also provide a document on how to do this: Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 7)

Please let me know your results. Thanks again for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day! Smiley Happy

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.