Question

Tutor
KernowPhoto
Message 1 of 12 (39,915 Views)

New HP Pavilion G6 - F12 switches OFF WiFi but won't switch it back on

When the WiFi button (F12) is pressed the LED show red and a message on-screen briefly says "Flight Mode ON" and the network connection icon in the notification area shows a red X. - this is expected - however

When I press F12 the on screen message does breifly display "Flight Mode OFF", but the LED stays orange and WiFi is disbaled. If I click the network icon in the notification area the panel that appears says Flight Mode OFF, WiFi (OFF).

I simply cannot re-enable the WiFi with the F12 key.

If I go to Computer->Properties->Device Manager, select the Wireless Adapter I can switch the WiFi back on by going to the Advanced tab and selecting Radio->Enable. If I do this the let then goes white and WiFi is OK.

So what is going on - why can't I simply toggle the WiFi off and on with the F12 key. Why to I have to resort to the device manager to switch it back on again?

Tutor
KernowPhoto
Message 2 of 12 (39,903 Views)

Re: New HP Pavilion G6 - F12 switches OFF WiFi but won't switch it back on

Solved my own problem - if it help others ....

the WiFi Driver update dated 25/09/12 caused the problem in my case.

Right click on 'Computer' select 'Advanced' and open Device manager. Locate the WiFi Adapter and choose the 'Roll back driver option' to restore the previous driver - worked for me.

You think someone would test drivers better than this !!!

Student
Eeyorefan12
Message 3 of 12 (36,441 Views)

Thanks for posting your solution! Although it wasn't exactly the correction I needed, it steered me to the right place (device manager).  I was lost otherwise. 

Student
usmanuhr
Message 4 of 12 (28,840 Views)

HP Pavilion M6 - F12 switches is On but wifi turn off.

hi,
kinldy help me plz.

i have Hp pavilion m6, 

its wifi shows off, but F12 key color is orange, when i go to device manager its driver details are these,
Driver Provider: Intel
Driver Date: 4/18/2013
Driver Version: 15.7.0.3

how to turn on it? plz help me...

HP Support Agent
Dunidar
Message 5 of 12 (28,797 Views)

usmanuhr

Could we get some additional information so we can assist you? If you could please post your product number for your computer. I am linking a document below that will show you how to find your product number.

How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c00033108

Please feel free to re-post once you have the needed information.

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
Student
TomJones1
Message 6 of 12 (23,539 Views)

[ Edited ]

I had the same problem  here is a solution for anyone else having the problem 

Go to the top left corner of the screen and click settings then choose Change PC Settings at the bottom then choose  wireless  under wireless devices turn the wifi back on 

How mine got turned off I have no Idea 

Student
SHUAIB2344
Message 7 of 12 (16,211 Views)

can u sent pics please of the particukar steps please i would be thankful to you

Student
Manuele_Rome
Message 8 of 12 (14,991 Views)

I, Ihave the same Problem, orange led and the wifi hardware doesn't show on manage Computer.
Product Number : B1J58EA#ABZ

Can help me please, Tnk

Student
jooof
Message 9 of 12 (8,704 Views)

hi guys this was my solution that fixed a broken wifi button (broken keyboard) which was actually a function key f12. I simply went into the BIOS system for HP, by pressing f10 on startup (before windows had actually initiated) and went into the configuration of the function key, and disabled this functionality. On my new keyboard when windows has rebooted i simply pressed f12 again.

Hope this helps some people.

Cheers 

Student
txbkldy
Message 10 of 12 (8,396 Views)

We have an HP Pavilion g6 laptop.  We've had this laptop for several years, as well as our router.  All of a sudden our computer will not log on to the internet without me plugging in an ethernet cable.  I have noticed that the f12 wifi button stays orange.  When I push that button it toggles between wifi disabled to wifi off.  I have checked the driver for wifi.  It tells me that it is up to date.  Please tell me how to fix this problem as it is HIGHLY annoying.....

stressed txbkldy!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation