Question

Honor Student
PreachTru
Message 1 of 14 (38,053 Views)

New Pavilion G6 wifi no longer works

I purchased an HP Pavilion g6-1a75dx 9 days ago from Best Buy. Mine has the Atheros AR9285 wifi adapter and Win7 Home Premium x64.

The problem I am having is I am no longer able to connect to any wifi networks. It worked fine until last night, then my connection dropped, and I am unable to connect to any networks. When trying to connect Win7 displays a message saying "It is taking longer than usual to connect to the network" then sits at the "identifying" process and is never able to sucessfully establish a network/wifi connection. I can see multiple wifi connections listed but am unable to connect to any of them. It's seems as if the wifi adapter has malfunctioned.

I have tried disabling/re-enabling the adapter, uninstall/re-installing drivers, updating drivers from the HP website, flushing dns cache, and even tried the HP support assistant but the HP support representative I got connected to had no clue how to help me. Nothing has fixed this problem. I find it incredibly frustrating that a brand new product I paid for does not function at the most basic level.

Any help resolving this would be most appreciated. If I am unable to fix this I will most likely be returning this product to Best Buy and never purchasing an HP product again.

Honor Student
ctrippel
Message 2 of 14 (38,024 Views)

Re: New Pavilion G6 wifi no longer works

I recently purchased the same computer from Best Buy and am not happy with the performance of the Atheros 9825 wifi adapter in these units.

I am not sure any of this applies to your situation (possible hardware failure), but I have gone to a lot of trouble to try and improve the wireless performance on my machine, so perhaps there is something in this you might be able to try....

On Battery Power, with the power settings at max performance (i.e. battery power should not be different than plugged in), my signal reception at 2 feet from the wireless router maxes out just shy of 70% signal strength (as reported by HP's network check tool).  Anywhere from 14% to 30% at 25 feet (line of sight).  Around 10% at 25 feet with anything blocking line of sight (like a couch).

There doesn't seem to be any significance in machine orientation (perpendicular / parallel screen) with th router.  I don't know where the antenna is placed in this machine, so perhaps it is in the base and not the screen.

I suffered from the inability to connect to my router when I first purchased so I performed the following:

1. Installed all Microsoft updates.

2. Updated the BIOS (downloaded from HP, version F.05).

3. Uninstalled the HP Network assistant (made sure that this could be re-installed from the recovery app before this step).

4. Updated the Atheros Drivers (version 9.20.0.310 from HP site).

At this point, I still suffered from dropouts (typically working from ~20 feet away from router, not 100% line of site)

5. Reinstalled the HP Network Assistant (somewhere on the internet I had seen a 'solution' that involved unstall / reinstall of Network Assistant when changing the network drivers...but not sure why this should have any effect on the overall problem).

6. Disabled the AdHoc 11n property of the adapter (only have a 'G' router).

7. Changed the primary wireless router to a Linksys 54-G (prior to this I was using a lower powered router, which has NEVER been an issue for any other laptop I have used in my home).

8. Changed the Router's Tx/Rx to Channel 1 on the router.

At this point it 'seems' to be more 'stable', however if I go outside 25 feet from the router, I cannot count on the connection.

I am also leaning towards returning the machine to Best Buy, but I think I am going to take the machine to an internet hotspot somewhere around town to see what kind of performance I get there (not expecting anything different).

It is unfortunate since the overall equipment (Intel i3, 4GB Ram, 500 GB drive, Dual Layer DVD, etc.) is pretty good for the price (perhaps this one of the reasons Best Buy was selling them so cheap??).

I would be interested if someone at HP has any other insight into this machine's problems with WiFi.

Good Luck.

Honor Student
PreachTru
Message 3 of 14 (38,007 Views)

I am unable to find the 9.20.0.310 driver anywhere on the HP website. I downloaded the latest driver from HP, which it only lists as 9.20 but in the driver details after install it shows 9.20.0.113. I also updated the BIOS and removed HP network assistant, but am still unable to connect wireless with my atheros wifi card. I also tried a system restore to when the laptop was first turned on but the wifi card still will not connect. I am convinced this is a hardware failure.

I am more disapointed in the absolute lack of support from HP in solving this problem. The online representative I spoke with was completely clueless and had no idea what to do. I have called multiple times and each time I have been put on hold on then hung up on. All of my emails to HP support have gone unanswered. This shows to me that not only does HP make an absolutely horrible product, but they know they produce absolute crap and refuse to help the customers they have eseentially defrauded and stolen money from.

Honor Student
ctrippel
Message 4 of 14 (37,988 Views)

Sorry to hear that.

The 9.2 software is the latest (the extra digits are available in the properties window after it is installed).

FWIW, before I took it back, I did an online chat with the HP help guys.

They had me do all the things you have already done (BIOS, Drivers).  Had me reset the Winsock....et al.

Kinda what I expected from some guy overseas.

No change.

Asked if there was a systemic problem with the Atheros card... they said no.

It was under warranty, so they were ready to get me to send it in for repair.

Decided I would take it back to Best Buy..... but since I was convinced this was hardware, I decided to check to see about switching out the wireless card.

Popped off the bottom cover (two screws and a little bit of tugging on the flexible plastic plate) and what did I find....

The antenna was not connected to the wireless card (wireless card is a postage stamp sized card that has two wires, labeled 1 and 2, next to it.)  The connectors snap onto these little flat button-like snaps (labeled 1 and 2, if you have a good set of eyes, and overall a little tricky for a person with big hands).

Closed it up and now I have 100% signal strengh!

In my case, signal reception was bad from the start, but I was able to connect to routers if I stayed within 10-15 feet.

All indications from within Windows was that the wireless card was working 4.0 (other than not staying connected).

I don't know if your situation is similar, but seems to me you might as well check those connections before returning the device (I don't see how this machine left the factory with those wires dangling, so perhaps they are prone to coming off??).

Good luck.

Student
NLVP
Message 5 of 14 (37,926 Views)

My household bought a Pavilion G6 last week from Harvey Normans and we are experiencing the same problem with the wifi - no longer connects to Wifi or even Ethernet.

We have contacted the 'HP Instant Support - Active chat' with no resolution. They suggested to return the computer to the shop.

Pretty disappointing!

Student
kashifali785
Message 6 of 14 (37,458 Views)

Connecting to the network is taking longer than usual

Connecting to the network is taking longer than usual --in Windows7

This issue is more common in windows7. When you face this issue you have to do a simple step that is in windows7 click on Start--->control panel----->network and internet------>network and sharing center----->manage wireless networks in this select your network and right click on it and remove it first (or) if possible clear all unknown networks from the list and then try to connect if u still get this issue then try to enable and disable the WAN chord then try if still doesnt work but if then still u get the same error.you try restarting the computer and then try to connect if still not able to connect then change the security in the router from WPA to WEP 64 BITand then try to connect It will work.If still it doesnt work then try to add the network manually im sure it will work.

Connecting to the network is taking longer than usual--in windows-vista

This issue is more common in vista.when you face this issue you have to do a simple step that is in windows -vista click on Start--->control panel----->network and internet------>network and sharing center----->manage wireless networks  in this select your network and right click on it and remove it first (or) if possible clear all unknown networks from the list and then try to connect if u still get this issue then try to enable and disable the WAN chord  in manage network connection.Then try if still u get the same error.you try restarting the computer and then try to connect if still not able to connect then change the security in the router from WPA to WEP 64 BIT and then try to connect It will work.If still it doesnt work then try to add the network manually im sure it will work. im positive.

Student
newtondad88
Message 7 of 14 (36,456 Views)

Re: Connecting to the network is taking longer than usual

I am new user of HP while in past had DELL. I have purchased specs as:

HP PAVILION G6 1104 SX, 320 GB HD, INTEL i3 @ 2.4 GHZ, 2GB RAM,

In my case i installed Windows7 and office 2010 successfully... After restart when tried to connect with networks through wi-fi then it is not connecting any while at the same time my DELL laptop having 10 networks showing via wi-fi..I have done everything like from control panel add wireless device, network sharing etc..But all in vain...

Please help me some one otherwise forever i will have very bad perception about HP...

Student
Aamir68
Message 8 of 14 (26,838 Views)

Facing same problem. Wireless signals are pathetic even in the same room. I think HP need to fix this problem but I cannot see any remedy on the Internet. Cannot afford to send this laptop to service center although its just few days old. Really disappointed by the Wifi performance. Expecting quick solution from peers.

Honor Student
kdgndy
Message 9 of 14 (23,745 Views)

I have had the same problem as the rest. What will it take for HP do do a recall. 8 hours of online chat with tech. & still no luck connecting HP g6 wireless. My problem seemed to coincide with changing wireless provider. My other HP, which is the g7, has had no problem connecting to the new one, but the g6 is a basket case. I would try to check the antenna connection, but will have to purchase a micro phillips first.

Student
DallasGuthrie
Message 10 of 14 (18,571 Views)

Possible FIX for - Pavilion G6 wifi no longer works

Sorry to hear about the rough time you are having with the G6...

I purchased one 7 months ago and had a simular problem the whole time until today.

My wifi would not pick up any networks more that 5 meters away, tried all the uninstall/re-install and configuration standard efforts, still no good. I searched far and wide for the answer and noticed many people are having the same issues.

Out of curiosity I wondered if I could just replace the wireless module and watched a clip on how to do that.

While watching the clip I noticed how easily accessible the module is. Undo one screw and remove two wires from the module.. so I had a look.

Well I’ll be stuffed, one of the wires was not connected....it was sitting against the metal frame of the PC.

I pushed wire 1 back onto the module, In a second I was picking up all the networks in my street.

So here’s the link - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03648496&cc=au&destPage=document&jumpid=reg_r10...

Perhaps a massive assembly error and poor quality checking caused this problem... a big problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation